How to reformat a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronnie2043, Apr 18, 2013.

1. ronnie2043, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

ronnie2043 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I have no experience what so ever with Apples products, especially computers, With windows I'm a wiz and can usually fix anything. My girl friend purchased a Macbook pro in summer of 2012 and loves it, had no issues with it until recently. Having speed issues on the internet and wile using the apple program that's the equivalent to Microsoft word and other small programs. She had no clue what to do so she brought it to her schools free tech support, wile there the kid suggested she bring it back with the OS installation discs so he could reformat it, it did not come with any, so from there she was told there was nothing she could do but go out and purchase the discs.Is it possible that the OS Lion is stored in the computers hard drive or some kind of recovery HD? Can anyone help me out and if its possible give me a step by step walk through to reformat her Macbook? Please someone help!!!! lol Thank you to anyone that can.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Reboot and hold Cmd-R at the boot chime to get into recovery :)

I've never done it myself so I don't know what steps to follow after that!

3. ronnie2043 thread starter macrumors newbie

well that seemed to get us somewhere so far!!! please someone help haha. thanks for the little tidbit nermal

4. ronnie2043 thread starter macrumors newbie

All right, thank you for that! greatly appreciated, but I still feel kinda lost and dont want her to proceed til I understand this a bit more, does she need to go and get a blank dvd for sure to burn lion? or can she reformat/partition and wile still in the utilities section select the install Lion from there then continue? I apologize simsaladimbamba, I do not get or understand Apple or the way it works one bit, I just dont want to talk her through a reformat and then not be able to put a OS back on her Macbook. Sorry and thanks again.

5. Asuriyan, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

It downloads any necessary files and performs the installation more or less automatically. Just follow the prompts.

EDIT: Realized that applies to the Retina models, which don't have the optical drive- all my other Macs are still running Snow Leopard. I haven't tried it on a model with an optical drive. Let me get back to you on that, before I give you bad info. I know it can be done with a flash drive as well, if you don't have DVDs on hand.

http://lifehacker.com/5928780/how-to-burn-os-x-mountain-lion-to-a-dvd-or-usb-flash-drive

Take a look at this.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Actually, I strongly agree with Interstella5555, you could've googled this in right around 2 minutes flat and gotten your asnwer faster than signing up and posting on here.

Unless you can back your "Apple sucks" with facts in a post written with paragraphs, punctuation and properly spelled out words, I'd be more inclined to consider YOU are being a troll.

Nobody is going to ban you for saying it, by the way. This isn't a gaming forum where the admins are ban happy like you may be used to.

Have a nice day, or go eff yourself, whichever you think fits most to your current situation.:D