How to reformat Leopard then install Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spentak, Dec 9, 2011.

1. spentak macrumors newbie

How do I, on OSX, completely wipe out my computer (as if it was fresh from the store) so I can download Lion from the Mac App Store. I don't think I have any OS disc. If I download Lion from the Mac App store will it give me the option to wipe my disk on install?

My iMac is just running worse and worse each day. I use it for development and it is getting to the point where XCode takes forever to load and then the mouse can barely move, etc.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't access the Mac App Store from Leopard. You need Snow Leopard or Lion to access the store to download Lion. Also, if you don't have your grey install disks that came with your computer, you can order replacements by calling Apple.
    For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

3. spentak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i'll give that a try. Also, I meant im on Snow Leopard.
    Does the Mac App Store installation of Lion allow you to reformat on install?