How to reformat macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samba, Jun 1, 2009.

1. samba macrumors newbie

i have lost my macbook pro CDs and need to reformat my laptop. im selling the laptop and cant find a way to reformat. can i reformat without the CDs? if not can i use my friends CDs from his macbook (friends laptop its not a pro)?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need a bootable disc, and your friend's MacBook install disks will not work for your MBP's.

Try google, there may be a way to create a bootable disk with your current disk. Also if you use carbon copy cloner and clone your hard drive to an external drive. That will be bootable and thus you'll be able to wipe the internal disk. Since you don't have the install disks, that may be an issue in selling, i.e., a new formatted hard drive w/o an OS on it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Technically you should not and could not use your friend's CDs. You may be able to see if Apple can help you out. I've heard them selling restore discs or replacing them.

You'd have to ensure your friend's macbook had the same build of the OS you had otherwise it could be missing drivers. Even still, you're using MB restore discs for a MBP. Not wise imho.

Best you can do is manually remove everything but keep in mind, selling your MBP without the discs isn't right either.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Two options:

1. Call AppleCare and ask them for replacement discs. They will provide you with the operating system that came with your MacBook Pro (either 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard) at approx. $34.xx for two discs.

2. Go to Apple Store or Best Buy and purchase Leopard at retail price.

5. samba thread starter macrumors newbie

this was my sisters old laptop shes gonna kill me for loosing the CD....can i reformat if i download the CDs on torrents

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's piracy, so we can't help you with that.

7. samba thread starter macrumors newbie

what if i reformat with windows. is that possible if so..how?

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You could reformat with Windows but you won't have OS X. If you're ok with just Windows on your MacBook Pro, then reformatting/reinstalling is like doing it on a PC, just boot off the install disc and follow the instructions.

9. samba thread starter macrumors newbie

thats ok news..but im pretty crap with computers and technology...whats the advantages and disadvantages of OS X when compared to windows on a macbook pro?

10. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

Well... MacBook Pros are built for OS X. There are plenty of advantages of having OS X and plenty of disadvantages of having JUST Windows. Too many to list here.

Windows PCs are so much cheaper than Macs, it would just be a waste to use a MacBook Pro purely with Windows in my opinion.

Just call AppleCare and see what they say. It won't hurt.

11. lostime macrumors regular

I would just wipe the HD and let the next guy figure out what OS to run.

12. Emerica macrumors member

Just buy the disks from Apple and reinstall that way.

13. lostime macrumors regular

if not then check craigslist, there are always some fools on there selling the software that came with their Macs. Just find the same model as your MBP.

14. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

how about making a clone of the system only with carbon copy cloner. After that start up from the clone an copy the clone back to the internal disk.