How to refresh copy of leopard I have on my mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by afbengochea, Jun 26, 2008.

1. afbengochea macrumors newbie

Hey guys, Im new to macs and was wondering if its pretty much the same thing as windows. I want to reinstall leopard onto the mac but I dont want to loose any of my stuff (documents, music, pictures....) by formating the hard drive. Is it as easy as putting in the OS X cd and reinstalling it? Its ben running slow lately and figured this might be a solution.Any options I need to choose?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Reinstalling is an option of last resort. Slowdowns can be from a number if issues, both software & hardware related. Telling us some specifics of your system might be in order. What model do you have, how much memory, what's the hard drive size and how much space is remaining, what apps you use heavily, how many apps & docs do you have open at once, how often to you reboot, things along those lines.

3. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

You can do an "archive and install" but you won't be able to reformat your hd that way if you want to do that. The best way to do a reinstall with formatting the hd is to do a time machine backup and than format and re-install. during the install you will get the option to transfer your files from the time machine back up. Make your you do a couple backups because I noticed when i did it, it only recognized the second most recent backup not the last one I had run, but maybe they fixed that by now.

4. afbengochea thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Ive got a mac mini. 2 Ghz intel core duo with 2 gigs of ram. Im actually not using that many apps when Im noticing this. Its a 120 gig hard drive. I normally have quicksilver open and i mostly use safari and itunes. Its pretty minimal I reboot once a day usually or atleast close to it.