How to refresh iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by moreplavec, Aug 14, 2014.

1. moreplavec macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I'm new to iTunes and i have one problem. I dropped my directory with music to iTunes. Now iTunes knows all my albums and its nice. But if i copy new music to my music directory, it doesn't show up in library. I need to pick specific directory and again drop it to iTunes (i mean, drag and drop above iTunes opened).

Is there any easy way to push iTunes to search for new files and to delete old ones?

Moreplavec

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

iTunes does not work like that. You need to drag/drop any new music into iTunes for it to be recognized.

There is also a folder called "automatically add to iTunes" in the Music>iTunes folder that will work like you want. Anything added there will get imported.

[​IMG]

3. moreplavec thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont want to insert it to iTunes (its copying files somewhere and making dupes). I just need to rescan MP3 directory, because it contains about 5000 files and time to time i copy there new directories. Delete and insert whole directory takes quite long time, but if there is no other way... maybe there is another player with sync to iPad and better functions to work with library.

4. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

If you've turned off the options to let iTunes manage your files, then all you need to do is File-->Add To Library and select the root folder. It will pick up anything new and ignore anything it has already imported.

5. moreplavec thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to block copying files, changed URL of my MP3 folder. ITunes rescanned directory, fine. But when i added files and was looking in iTunes to play it, nothing. Again i needed to drop that folder to iTunes. Or is there any time delay iTunes scan the directory? Im still testing it, but no luck.

Attached Files: