How to refresh iTunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Labi, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Labi macrumors regular

I'm adding new music to my music folder but it doesnt appear on iTunes music library. How do I do this?
    Thanks. Sorry if it's been asked before but I couldn't find anything.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Add new music to iTunes itself, and it should then add the file(s) to the Music folder. :)

3. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

How? Drag and drop into iTunes?

4. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

You have to consolidate your itunes music before it all will be added to the music folder. im not at home or i would tell u exactly were the option is within itunes. if you click thru the menus im sure you will see it ;-) if not someone else maybe able to point it out to you.

5. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

But when consolidating it warns you that all music will be copied into iTunes music folder which I don't want really.

6. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

i see, Hmm now that those songs are in the folder i believe you are going to have to drag an drop them into itunes. Normally when i add new music i drag and drop it into itunes then consolidate the itunes libary. The way you did it now probably isnt the easiest way, but never the less when u drop them in itunes it will update your libary.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep. If you've left iTunes to manage your music files (which it does by default), then it'll copy a version of the song into your Music folder for you, leaving the original wherever you left it.

That's only applicable if you've stopped letting iTunes manage your music.

8. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

9. snowbrdr88 macrumors newbie

10. Tudeski macrumors member

The script is a MUST GET! Every Itunes user should know about this. You have to have it if you like to manage your own files. i just used it for the first time and it solved my problem of over 14000 songs that I had deleted myself and itunes hadn't realized. Now, my library is clean and ready to go.

Download it and use it! removes the dead links.