How to Regain Control from Another's Apple Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adalect, Apr 14, 2009.

1. adalect macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm taking a computer class in high school. The teacher's computer has Apple Remote Desktop to control any computer when necessary.

The problem is, the class helper has access to this computer and usually takes control of my computer and mess up with my computer project "as a joke". My only workaround to pull the Ethernet cord from my eMac before he does so; if you do it after, the computer stops responding until after a while when the cord is back in. This is usually when the helper leaves the computer; I assume he has to give me back control of my computer before I can use it.

My question is: is there a command I can use to break free from this control? If not, is there a convenient workaround? I know I can pull out the Ethernet cord, but I lose my internet connection by doing so. Talking to the teacher doesn't help; the teacher doesn't take it seriously.

Thanks for helping me!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. adalect thread starter macrumors newbie

The teacher doesn't take it seriously.

As well, the helper's files he uses to help with some of the paperwork for the teacher is on the same eMac with Remote Desktop and on the same account.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

So the teacher doesn't care that the 'helper' is messing with your computer?

Maybe it's time to go over the teacher's head, like school administration? Principal? Talk to your parents too - they can make noise.

Maybe the teacher needs a lesson in ethics. If the teacher is willing to let another student mess up your computer, then the teacher is in the wrong job.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Seriously, being able to do that would seriously destroy the functionality of the software. It's an issue with the person now. Talk to them and the teacher if it's a serious issue. Otherwise, you might just have to live with it.

jW

6. adalect thread starter macrumors newbie

You may be right. I was hoping for a key combination - like press Esc 3x - or a program/script/hack to stop it. Anybody have any solutions or workarounds?

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you can't get into the Sharing preference pane with the admin account, then there is no workaround. Having a workaround would make the software useless.

8. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Also, working around the software might be considered a violation of your school's policies.

Talk to the teacher again. If they won't do anything, mention it to the administration.

If that still doesn't work, and the helper continues to mess up your work, I suggest the following: whenever he starts messing with it, walk over and unplug his computer. :)

9. adalect thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Synthezoid macrumors newbie

If talking to the teacher again doesn't help, I'm gonna vote for this as the best next step.