How to reimport iTunes library from old Mac to new Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspiffy, Jun 14, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I have a MBP and my iTunes library is on an external hdd. If I were to get a new Mac, what's the best way to transfer my library, and keep it intact (with ratings, playlists, playcounts, etc...)?

First option I thought about is to sync everything to my iPod, and re-rip it with Senuti. Though I've had issues with Senuti before, as it would often crash before completing the transfer...

Second option is... What if I just drag and drop the old library in the external hdd, to the iTunes window in the new Mac? (With manually manage music enabled of course, so as to prevent double copies) Wouldn't that reimport the entire iTunes library intact to the new Mac? Can this work?

If there are better alternatives, I'm all ears. Thanks

2. iMouseHD macrumors regular

My Intel iMac had to go in for some surgery and they had to install a new hard drive so I guess this was like getting a new iMac. As I store everything on external drives all I had to do was set the prefrences back to the correct location on the external drive, then I just dragged it all over into itunes and viola, good as she was prior.

So you should be able to do just that. As long as you have it all stored on an external drive, just drag it to the new itunes and you should be good to go. Just make sure you set your prefrences as if you have a different lib. selected it will copy everything to that location as well.

Not an expert but worked for me.

3. 66217 Guest

Just replace the iTunes folder in your new Mac with your old iTunes folder in your external HD.:)

4. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a