How to reindex spotlight in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBunny, Nov 5, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

How can I force my Leopard to reindex my drives? My External drives seem to be indexed, but not my Internal Drive.

I checked spotlight preferances, and its not set up to be that way. I tried doing it the tiger way and that didnt work... is there like a command I can run in the terminal or something?

Thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

3. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool - Will try when I go home. Thanks!

4. eme jota ce macrumors regular

Did this work?

5. Daphtdazz macrumors member

I managed to re-index mine by adding and then removing my HD to the spotlight exclusions, which worked, but that's much neater, thanks very much!

Just thought I'd add: Why can't Apple provide a button for that in the pref pane, anyway?

6. webDesignGuy macrumors newbie

webDesignGuy

Finally fixed the indexing issue

Thank you for this post. I was having the same issue after installing Leopard. The main work directories that I use came over from an external drive after the upgrade, and seemed to have lost the ability to live search.

I was able to fix this by adding the hard drive disc to the Privacy Window in the Spotlight preferences. I had tried to do this earlier and it didn't work, because I just added the work folders, rather than the entire hard disc.

I added the hard drive by selecting it and dragging it into the privacy window. Closed out of system preferences, and then opened it up again, and removed them using the '-' button.

worked!

sweet!

thank you!