How to reinstall JB apps after next update

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gianthobbit, Sep 9, 2010.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

So once they come up with a proper JB method for us so we can update, how is the process done to reinstall all the fixes/app that I have? I have most through cydia but some through rock.

Thanks much!

2. Liberty. macrumors 6502

3. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

PkgBackup is the best !

4. Kayan macrumors 6502

Pkgbackup is much better than the others in simplicity and functionality.

5. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

This just does your packages and not apps then? From my understanding packages are like fixes to the OS only or am I mistaken?

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I've always had great success with AptBackup on my iPhone's when I upgrade my jailbreak. It doesn't back up the apps but instead, backs up a list of items you had and when you restore, it immediately goes and gets them. This also ensures that you have the latest versions of those apps as well. :)

7. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

PkgBackup restores everything from Cydia with one button push.
    PkgBackup is not free like the other mentioned here, but it works far better.

8. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a one click solution to restore Rock purchases?

9. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Rock will do that after PkgBackup installs Rock back.

10. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

NO to both.

Pkgbackup is the most reliable.

12. ajones46 macrumors 6502

It seems like a simple question that hasn't been answered, but I jailbroke for only two reasons: MyWi and 3G unrestrictor, both paid, jailbroken apps. Once a jailbreak comes out for 4.1, I'll upgrade, rejailbreak, the can I just redownload the two apps without having to pay for them again? Or it seems like Rock/Cydia automatically does this for you? I don't think i should really have to download something to back up two apps lol...

Can someone help clear this up?

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Rock sucks. That’s why.

14. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Aggie, I don't know how you can read my whole post and then just put "Rock sucks." You didn't even answer any of my questions. Did you even comprehend everything I said? I understand some people dislike Rock for whatever reason, but it seems like you just ignored everything, and added your own opinion.

Does anyone else know how redownloading paid, jailbroken apps work and is willing to actually type out the answers?

15. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, if you bought MyWi thru Rock, you have to re-install it thru Rock.

If you bought MyWi thru Cydia as in the No Rock version, you can re-install it thru Cydia, along with 3G Unrestrictor.

If you update to 4.x firmware there is a $10 upcharge for the 4.0 version of MyWi (you didn't specify what version you were using)

If you just have 2 apps to re-install, PkgBackup is not needed.

Some of us have 50 or so, thus PkgBackup

16. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Both were purchased through Rock (i think that's the only way you can get MyWi anyway).

But you wont be charged to redownload the apps again?

17. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

All paid apps should be have a license and that license carries over. If there is a problem, despute but thats the whole point of having a licensing checking and transferring system.

18. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

AptBackup is GARBAGE. Rock should never be installed on anyone's device unless they like failure.

I paid $4.99 for PkgBackup and I feel it's going to be worth every penny when I need to restore my 42+ Cydia apps and tweaks one day.

You won't have to pay for them again because they're linked to your Rock login. (google elpelle6, btw). I wouldn't update to 4.1 the day the jailbreak comes out because then those jailbroken apps may not be compatible for 4.1. It doesn't backup the actual app, it backs up the names and locations/repo of where to get it, then just redownloads them all at once.

19. ajones46 macrumors 6502

20. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Is there a location that I can SFTP into - to retrieve the data backed up through PkgBackup? Syncing to itunes is always a disaster.

I use AppBackup for saved data through official apps/games and would like a similar method for PkgBackup... is this possible?

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

For me (Windows) PkgBackup creates a CONTACT in the iPhone contacts and syncs that contact (which is the data) with Outlook on my PC which I back up every night.

22. WilliamG macrumors 604

Not sure why all the hate against Rock. I bought MyWi through Rock, and have had no trouble. Phone runs quickly, smoothly, the end.

23. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Hah! Interesting... I see that now. I have my contacts sync over the air to google contacts along with gmail and calendar, so hopefully on 4.1 I can just sync back the contact over the air.

24. Liberty. macrumors 6502

AptBackup may be fail, i never used it myself, but why is Rock bad? I hate Cydia, such a slow piece of ****.