How to reinstall Mac OS X from external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ivysdad, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Ivysdad macrumors newbie

Folks,

My MacBook does not start. Have Failed all suggested methods. I decided to reinstall Mac OS X, but my laptop does not like the installation dvd, which was scratched badly. I have the Mac OS X image file, but do not have a super drive to burn double layer dvd. With a functioning PC, a iPod touch and thumb drives. Can anyone tell me a method to reinstall the system to my MacBook.

Thank you.

Ivy

2. Aniday macrumors regular

You'll obviously need a drive that has more than 6 or 8 gigs... or whatever.

Plug that in. Open Disk Utility and format that disk to Mac OS X extended (journaled) Then go to the Restore tab, drag the OS X image on the "source" space and then drag the usb drive on the "destination" space. Be sure "erase destination" is unchecked. Click restore, wait for it to be done, and that's all you need to do with the external disk.

To install, keep the drive plugged in and hold the Option key on bootup. Everything is straight forward after that.

That's...if you had a functioning Mac. >.> I don't know how you would do all of that on a Windows or Linux. Linux might be able to do it.

3. Ivysdad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much. My problem is not knowing a person around me using a mac. I though my 16GB Ipod touch shall be journaled. Does anyone know whether it is possible to use the ipod touch as an external hard drive?

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

using the iPod touch is not going to be an option. You will need a flash drive or external USB/FW drive to do this. The procedure above is correct.

Good luck.