How to reinstall Mac OS X preserving BootCamp disc?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krz7, Mar 25, 2012.

1. krz7 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and BootCamp partition [Windows 7]. I'd like to install clean copy of OS X Snow Leopard on MBP (I have original OS X Snow Leopard DVD) and wipe all data from my computer [EXCLUDING WINDOWS 7 AND DATA ON BOOTCAMP]. Because it got messy and slowed down. Unfortunately SuperDrive in my MBP is broken. :(

I also own windows laptop with working DVD drive. Is there possibility to share DVD drive with MBP over Wi-Fi and reinstall Mac OS X?

Anybody can help me do this step by step?

Any help will be appreciated!

2. krz7 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I have installed DVD Sharing Software & Remote OS X Instalation Software (from Apple OS X DVD) on Windows PC and did everything instruction says, but my MacBook Pro won't see Bootable Network Disk on startup (when keeping ALT pressed). I tried both: via Wi-Fi (both devices on the same network) and Ethernet. Either way it won't detect network disk.

Any suggesttions? What am I doing wrong?

3. paul117 macrumors regular

only think i can think of is ur firewall on your pc might be blocking the software... try disableing it.... thats all i can think of trying.

4. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

I think that utility only works on the MacBook Air, but I could be mistaken. If I'm mistaken, the problem would be that you're holding the wrong key. Option is the key to hold, and I can't remember what key that is on a non Apple keyboard, but google is your friend for that. Do you have a USB thumb drive or external hard drive you can erase? Even an SD card as long as you have a reader to connect it to the computer. You can use Disk Utility to make the thumb drive or whatever you've got into an install disc using the computer that has the working drive. You would choose the option called Restore, and choose the install DVD as the source, and use the thumb drive, SD card or whatever as the destination. You can then boot up the other Mac from that drive over USB, or FireWire if you have a FireWire drive. Be aware this process will DESTROY any information on the USB thumb drive, SD card etc, so back it up first if you want to keep it.

5. krz7 thread starter macrumors newbie

That utility works with Windows computers and it's officially supported by Apple. Firewall is disabled. I'm pressing right key (ALT = OPTION). :)

EDIT: You might be right. According to this site http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1777?viewlocale=en_US it works with MBA and Mac Mini, but I dont understand why Apple wont allow it to be used on MBP (considering lot of their Superdrives are broken). Thanks again.

Yeah, I have empty 32 GB USB flash drive, but my MacBook wont see Remote DVD and that't the problem.

Thanks for your input. :)

6. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

I'm less familiar with Windows tools, but you can almost certainly find some tool for Windows that would allow you to restore a disk image to external media. The problem is you would also need that Windows machine to read HFS file system. I know MacDrive can make that happen, but you wouldn't want to pay for that just to get this done. You could buy an external DVD drive and then return it after getting this completed.

7. Spikestrip, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

EDIT: You can download a Linux liveCD or even install Linux on a partition of your drive or an external if you're comfortable with that. The purpose here would be to install gparted onto Linux on the Windows machine, and use gparted to restore the Apple install disc onto your flash drive. All free, but a bit more work.

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry for double-posting, I hit the wrong button in this iPad forum app.

8. krz7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thing I'll just buy some cheap external DVD Drive. That'll be easier.
    Thanks for your contribution and help Spikestrip! :)