How to reinstall OS 10.6.8 without erasing everything on the HDrive ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mayarosea, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Mayarosea macrumors newbie

Mayarosea

I want to reinstall just OS 10.6.8 on my MacBook Pro

without erasing existing files/software/etc.

Is it possible to do this and if yes - how exactly?

(I’m not a techie and feel a bit uneasy to do clean reinstall even having full backup of the HD)

I do have original OS 10.6.8 CD ready.

This laptop model is one with built-in disk drive.

A detailed description how such reinstall is done will be much appreciated!

Thank you all!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

You just select 'reinstall OS X' from your 10.6.8 DVD. It won't affect any files/applications, and will just reinstall the core OS files. As long as you don't wipe from Disk Utility it'll be fine.

However I must ask why you want to just reinstall the OS. If you're having an outstanding issue with your computer, this isn't likely to resolve the problem unless it's something very specific. Please could you outline what problems you're having, and based on your description we can suggest what could be the issue, or suggest specific diagnostics if we need further information.

Please can you also advise which model MacBook Pro you have?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would highly recommend that before any work, you back it up. Just in case this goes south, you want to have your data safe somewhere :)

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

It depends on what is currently installed on the drive. If it's 10.6.8, then the info provided by @keysofanxiety is accurate. If you have a newer version installed and wish to revert, that's a whole other ball of wax as you will need to back up your data, wipe the drive then reinstall the OS.