Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Safari is somehow corrupt with a virus like popup that won't let me do anything (in safari). How can I uninstall it and reinstall a new copy?

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Unless you typed an Administrator password to install something bad, then the problem almost surely is in your account not with you Safari install. You can verify this by creating a new user account. Then use Safari in the new user account. Do you still have the same issue?

If the answer is you still have the same issue in another user account, then the answer gets a whole lot more complicated. If the answer is the problem doesn't exist in a new user account, then you can work on blowing away your Settings and Safari cache in your 'bad' user account.

Report back with your experience after creating a new account.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Unless you typed an Administrator password to install something bad, then the problem almost surely is in your account not with you Safari install. You can verify this by creating a new user account. Then use Safari in the new user account. Do you still have the same issue?

If the answer is you still have the same issue in another user account, then the answer gets a whole lot more complicated. If the answer is the problem doesn't exist in a new user account, then you can work on blowing away your Settings and Safari cache in your 'bad' user account.

Report back with your experience after creating a new account.

I created a new account and safari works just fine. I cleared the cache on the bad account and it has not improved.

krist_k

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016
I have the same issue with safari. anytime i click on a link, a pop up window appears warning me about viruses, or cleaning mac... How to get rid of it? I run virus scan many times and nothing found.
Any idea?

safari version 9.1.1
OSX 10.9.5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.