how to reinstall software on macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by khunxhor, Sep 9, 2009.

1. khunxhor macrumors member

Hey everyone,

After doing lots of searching, I found that a lot of the guides are specific to certain user's problems. Can someone refer me to a simple guide for general reinstallation? I found one for the macbook air in the guides section -should I just use that?

The reason I want to reinstall leopard on my macbook (dec2007) is because it's been really weird and slow lately and I just want to start fresh.

I will obviously save all my documents that are impt on an external drive. Do I have to delete everything else on my mb, or will the reinstallation process automatically erase everything?

I wanted to stop by the apple store and ask them too, should I just pick up a snow leopard upgrade? Browsing through the forum, I found alot of threads titled "snow leopard bugs", etc. Does this mean I should just hold off if I don't need it.

Thanks in advance.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you put your leopard disk in and restart it should start up from the disk and then just follow the instructions. Just make sure you back up everything first!!!!

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Pop in the Leopard disc and reboot while holding down C -> Select Utilities from top bar and select Disk Utility -> Select Erase and erase the HD -> Install Leaopard

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Sorry I didnt read your whole post. If you are thinking about installing leopard then you might as well get Snow Leopard and upgrade. It will save you having to do it again when you think it become stable enough.

I find snow leopard very stable and have had no problems what so ever.

5. khunxhor thread starter macrumors member

I went ahead and bought snow leopard earlier.

I am attempting to back up my work onto an external hard drive.

When I try to erase everything on it via disk utility, I don't know which format to select.

MS-DOS (FAT) is the preselected one

my other options are :

Mac OS Extended Case Sensitive
    Mac OS Extended Case Sensitive and Journaled
    Mac OS Extended
    Mac OS Journaled

Which should I pick? Does it matter?

Thank you so much.