how to reinstall Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superspud, Jan 7, 2008.

1. superspud macrumors regular

Ok so i think its time for me to try out Leopard on my macbook. i've been putting it off and putting it off but after reading TONS of negative and positive reviews i think im ready to try it out.

HOWEVER, if it turns out i do not like it, how do i switch back to Tiger? My macbook came with two disks that say "OS X Install Disc 1 and 2" on them, is that Tiger? if not, where can i get a copy of tiger to reinstall if i do not like Leopard?

is there a "reinstall" option on leapord/my macbook that doesnt require discs?

Thanks ahead of time for the help guys

2. soemochris macrumors member

if your macbook came with tiger, yes

3. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply, did you mean as in yes the discs have tiger on them or yes there is a way to reinstall it within my computer? and yes my comp came with tiger

sorry im a noob at this

4. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

lol. yeah, your discs will have Tiger on them, then. just boot up from them and reinstall.

5. soemochris macrumors member

it has instructions how to boot up into the installer on the discs, i think its holding c, if you lose the discs u just phone apple care (if you have it) and they will send you them free of charge, or you can buy tiger like leopard from the apple store,

i was a noob at it until like the 27th December :p

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You can't buy a copy of Tiger for the MacBook at the Apple Store. The only retail boxed editions of Tiger that were ever produced were made for PowerPC, not Intel. All Intel Macs shipped with Tiger pre-installed, so there was no reason to make a boxed version.

If you lose your System Restore discs, you must get a new set from Apple (who, I believe, do charge some amount for them).

Also, if you decide to restore to Tiger, keep in mind that the discs will wipe your hard drive, so you must back up any documents, music, pictures, etc. you want to keep. Basically any of your own personal data.

7. soemochris macrumors member

oh sorry my mistake, i got free tiger discs because they were scratched, joys of second hand discs

8. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

perfect! thanks for the help guys you rock!

my biggest concern was not being able to go back to tiger easily, but now i see that its easy. I already have all of my stuff backed up on my two externals so i should be good to go. looks like i'll be picking up leopard pretty soon :)

one of the main reasons, sadly enough, is b/c leopard has thumbnails. I was trying to arrange all of my photos the other day with tiger and it was damn near impossible.. took forever!!!