How to release IP address with airport express

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rxl125, Sep 29, 2007.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

How can I obtain a new IP address with my airport express router, iMac, and comcast.

Do I have to leave it unplugged for a long time?

2. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

is there an ipconfig feature like windows has?

3. kostia macrumors regular

In the Network pane of System Preferences, there are two buttons below your list of network connections: Configure and Disconnect.

Click Configure. On the TCP/IP tab you have a button labeled "Renew DHCP lease." According to the help files (search for 'release ip address'), this is the same as ipconfig /release AND ipconfig /renew.

If you are set up to receive your IP address using DHCP, you can force your computer to release your current IP address and get a new one from your DHCP server.

Open System Preferences and click Network.
    Choose your connection method from the Show pop-up menu (such as Built-in Ethernet or Airport).
    Click TCP/IP and click Renew DHCP Lease.
    This might be helpful in an environment where many computers use the same DHCP server, or the network administrator has set up a short DHCP lease time.

Check with your ISP or network administrator to find out if you need to renew your DHCP address.

4. LarK macrumors newbie

Renew DHCP lease

the renew DHCP lease button does not release the ip information. It simply does and ipconfig /renew
    -to release this information go into system preferences > network
    -change the show menu to Network Port Configurations
    -uncheck the box for method of connection (uncheck airport for wireless, built-in ethernet for ethernet connection, etc)
    -click apply now
    -check the box for the device again (i.e. airport)
    -click apply now.

This information can be found at the apple website, here is a link
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106879

5. unsung macrumors newbie

I did a search, sorry for bumping an old thread but this worked for me. Thank you.

6. 9000 macrumors 6502

Release the DHCP from the ISP or get one Mac to release its local DHCP? I'm trying to release the ISP one, and I haven't found the answer anywhere.