How to Relink Modified and Original Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FranGee, Oct 2, 2008.

1. FranGee macrumors newbie

I am manually re-importing all my photo originals and modified files into a new iPhoto library. When I reload the photos, the links between the two no longer work. In other words, the original and edited versions both appear in iPhoto, and I can't "Revert to Original" from the edited photo. I want the edited version to show in iPhoto while the original remains hidden in the Pictures>Originals folder. Is there a way to relink the two?

Note: I tried doing an automatic rebuild of iPhoto, but it didn't work, so now I'm doing the manual import.

Thanks -

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Just so we understand, why are you importing all of them? Is there a reason you can't just copy the library? Or parts of it? When you import, iPhoto (and I'm sure all other photo programs) sees each photo as a new photo, and there is no way for it to know that they are simply versions of the same photo. If you are simply trying to move your library, try this instead: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229

3. FranGee thread starter macrumors newbie

Response on relinking Modified & Original photos

Thanks for trying to help. Background: I accidentally selected all my photos (thousands) and clicked Create Film Roll. When I realized I was erasing all my individual film roll headings (about a hundred), I clicked Force Quit to stop the process. But when I reopened iPhoto, most of my photos were no longer visible in the iPhoto window. The Film Roll headers are there and under them are just dotted rectangles for each photo. These Original and Modified photos (the ones no longer visible in iPhoto) ARE in the Library, in one big file.

Rebuilding the Library did not help. As you suggested I moved the Library, hoping that the big hidden folder would reappear, but these photos still aren't visible through iPhoto. Is there another way to make the hidden Film Roll reappear in iPhoto? If not I think I'm stuck with re-importing all these photos - and that's why I'm asking how to relink the Modified and Original photos. Hope this is clear.