How to remember the last position of the Finder view

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daihard, Dec 26, 2008.

1. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

The subject may not be very clear. Let me explain.

Let's say I have a Finder window open showing the "Music" folder. Under that I have approximately 200 folders for musicians ("Bruce Springsteen," "Heart," etc). They are displayed as icons in alphabetical order.

Now I scroll all the way down to the "Van Halen" folder. I click on it and browse through their albums and songs. When I'm done, I hit the back button (the left arrow) on the top left corner of the Finder window to go back out to the "Music" folder.

Now here's the problem. Instead of taking me back to where I left off (i.e. where the "Van Halen" folder is visible), this action will take me to the top of the "Music" folder. That is, the Finder window does not remember the last position of the previously opened folder view. This forces me to scroll all the way down again to go back to the "Van Halen" folder.

I find this behaviour to be highly annoying. I would like to know how I can change it so that the last position of the previously opened view is retained. Could anyone help?

FWIW, both Linux and Windows remember the last position of the previous view.

Thanks,
    Dai

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

list and cover flow view remember the position you where last viewing.

3. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks for the quick response. I tried the List view and sure enough it works. I wonder why it's not the case with the Icon view. I could switch to the List views for this feature alone, but if possible I'd like to stick with the Icon view as that's what I'm most used to.