How to remember Windows share passwords

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by TheArgonaut, Feb 13, 2016.

1. TheArgonaut macrumors newbie

HI there. No matter what I do i can't seem to get my Mac to remember passwords to my Windows shares and printer shares on my "server". Not really a server as it's running Windows 10 but it's handles all my network data and printers. Anyway, every time I go to add a printer or browse to a share it asks for a password. I enter the password and tell it to remember and every time after that it keeps doing that. It doesn't remember anything I'm telling it about my Windows logon information. I've been battling this seemingly forever and I just want a fix. I'm willing to spend money. Whatever! I'm just tired of having to do this all the time. If someone can guide me in the right direction to fix this or provide a solution I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

2. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Been a while since I've had to mount external things to my Mac, but, first thing I'd do is go into Keychain Access and see if you can locate the mount points/shares. If located, see if the password was saved. If not, just enter the password into the blank password field and save. Should (hopefully) save it, and next time will not be an issue.

If there is an entry saved in Keychain, but missing some other(s), can manually create the entries. Use the existing item as an example and just do a File > New Password Item... to create. First box is the mount point path.

ADD: though come to think of it, I used to have a file storage app for my iPhone, and that synced over an AFP connection on the local network. That never remembered the password, so, maybe a limit for security reasons: don't want random anyone to boot up the machine and possibly be getting into some file share that shouldn't be getting into? (Yeah, I know: "but if they already have access to your computer, you have bigger issues at hand").