How to Remote Desktop into Vista Home Prem from Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by donmei, May 1, 2008.

1. donmei macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'd like to make my Vista Home Premium media center machine "headless".

The home premium doesnt seem to come with the RDP server/host piece.

Also, the client piece, MS Remote Desktop Connection for Mac, doesnt make any mention of Vista, just xp.

I suspect that the Remote desktop connection is based on VNC and therefore platform independent?

Is that correct?

So . . what do I need to add to my Vista as the home premium version doesnt seen to support remote connections. Am I wrong about this?

And what do I need to add to the Safari based Mac. I'm assuming the MS RDC for Mac is all I need.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don

p.s. this is over a lan. so gotomypc or other stuff like that is not needed.

2. staticcornflake macrumors newbie

Vista Home Premium does not include RDP support, there's no way to enable it without hacking specific dll's.

You can install a VNC server on the vista machine, and use leopard's screen sharing app to access it that way.

The mac RDP client does support Vista, but only professional versions which include the RDP feature.

3. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

microsoft knows that with these "versions," they are putting many people in the middle of choosing between home premium and business, both of which have things that people want. Ultimate is the answer to that, and they know it, so they raised the price of the full version of windows.

Unfortunately, you've been caught in that situation. You want some of the stuff business had (RDP), and I'm sure you want the media stuff that home premium offers. Sorry, bro, you've been m$ed :eek:

4. donmei thread starter macrumors regular

Well, not really. A good friend works for MS. I can get ultimate for free. Still, I'd rather not install another 10GB of bloatware just to get rdp.

I may try the vnc server
    Its probably 3mb. . .ha