How to remotely access data?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Battlefield Fan, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Alright so the story goes... I have a desktop pc running windows 7 ultimate but I will be away for the next week. At some point I know I'll need to grab a file off of this machine from my laptop that is also running windows 7 ultimate. If I leave my desktop on while I am gone is there any way to do this.

Would remote desktop connection through the windows OS work?

Thanks in advance:apple:

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

You could use a commercial product like GoToMyPC, although I'm not sure how useful it is as I've never used it.

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

are there no vpn products for windows 7 yet? you could always use dropbox. why don't you just throw the file(s) on your laptop now?

4. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I'll give the 30 day free trial a try. Thanks!

I'm looking to remotely take control of my desktop. It's hard to anticipate what files I'll need and they are rather large in size.

5. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Use LogMeIn Pro...it lets you remote control your destkop and it has a built in File Manager FTP-like utility...

-J.-

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Gotomypc and logmein work great the latter is free but may be blocked by your companies firewall. Gotomypc works but logmein does not for me. Either way you need to install a client portion to your workstation prior accessing the computer.

Another alternative is to use dropbox and keep those files you want to access in the dropbox folder.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Great - let us know how it goes! :)

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

There's a free version of LogMeIn. I put that on a netbook for my boss. It gets the job done. There's also a version that doesn't require a web browser called LogMeIn Ignition. My boss wants me to put the Android version on her phone. I haven't played around with the latter yet, so I don't know how well it works.