Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
I want to remotely access my mac. I have done tons of searches about VNC and realize this is the way to go.

Now the $64,000 question....
I want to be able to control my mac from anywhere in the world on any computer without downloading any client software. I want to control it through a web browser. I know this can be done.

Can someone please tell me how, or perhaps point me in the direction of a good step by step tutorial?

Thanks.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I've never heard of such a thing for the Mac.

Apple Remote Desktop would be the way I'd go... that and SSH, but apparently you've already made up your mind.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
ive never heard of anything that can do that. remote desktop or VNC are the only things i know that can remotly control a computer, and they each require a client on whatever computer you are using. but, as its been pointed out, since you know it can be done, why dont you tell the rest of us?

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Dunno about the Mac version, but the VNC server I set up on my Windows machine in under five minutes has an easy-to-access Java client. I point any Java-capable web browser at the right IP address with :8000 tacked onto the end, and pow, I'm in my computer.

That said, Linux and Mac systems tend to have good clients built-in, and a Windows client takes up almost no space, so I carry one around on my USB memory stick.

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Well, the Java one's an unsecured password; another reason I don't use it very much. But anything with a proper client is tunnelled through SSH, and is therefore pretty dang secure.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
One thing you might consider is to set up a terminal applet on a webserver that has basic capabilities, such as SSH, FTP, telnet and such, and access your Mac remotely from this terminal. It won't be graphical, but if you know UNIX commands fairly well, you can do practically anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.