How to remotely connect and control grandads mac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by m11rphy, Oct 22, 2011.

1. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Hi All,

My grandad has a mac pro running lion and often has questions on how to do certain things. Is there away i van connect to his mac from mine and control his mouse so i can show him stuff ?

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Back to my Mac would let you do this too. Built and and free, which is always nice.

3. m11rphy thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys i have been looking around and ichat could offer what i need

4. nelek macrumors newbie

5. simsaladimbamba

Yep, it was posted as first reply, almost two weeks ago.

I guess I should have used a fancy link, as it might not have been clear from the URL.

6. luke.mac1 macrumors member

iChat does all of this, it's free and it's really easy to use. You can use audio at the same time too, so you can talk him through stuff while you show him, on his screen.

7. rwwest7 macrumors regular

You can also use an iPad/iPhone app like SplashtTop remote desktop. He'll be blown away when you remotely fix his computer from Starbucks.

8. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

TeamViewer is easy but requires the other party to tell you their ID and password for the session.

I don't know how savvy your Grandpa is but I get frustrated easily when dealing with people that say, "I don't have a password"... or "I don't have a blue box with a white circle and two blue arrows going left and right" or simply have difficulty relaying that simple information even though you've shown them where the box is etc etc.

I would get a free LogMeIn account, install it on his computer, give it a password that you know, and then can log in whenever you want, without him having to activate anything.

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

This is a great solution. I use this to help anyone with a Mac who needs help. They all have iChat, and all they have to do is launch it, and accept my screen sharing request...