How to remotely control mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sachman, Dec 19, 2011.

1. sachman macrumors newbie

I understand I can do this through ichat, via screen sharing. Can somebody take me through the steps on how to do this please. Does ichat have to be running to do this, i.e. if I go to a mac in another location can I wake my mac from sleep and browse it?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends which version of Mac OS X you're running, as well as what you want to be able to do with your connection. For example, Encrypted chats between MobileMe members ("Secure iChat") is not available in OS X Lion. Apple recommends using the built-in FaceTime app in OS X Lion and iOS 4 or later for secure video chats. If you need to securely transfer a file using iChat on a computer with OS X Lion, you can encrypt the file and then transfer it with iChat.

When on a local network, I use Screen Sharing. When remote I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure (fully encrypted) and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use.