Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Remotely controlling the shutter on your iPhone's camera lets you include yourself in the photo while avoiding the limitations of a selfie. For example, it allows you to take a picture of a wider scene with you included in the frame, which is ideal for landscape shots or group photos. If your iPhone is on a tripod, taking the shot remotely also reduces the risk of camera shake. Here's how to do it.

iphone12protriplelenscamera.jpg

There are more ways than one to take a picture on your iPhone remotely. If you have an Apple Watch, you can open the Camera Remote app that comes included.
How to Control Your iPhone's Camera With Apple Watch

1. Launch the Camera Remote app on your wrist.
  2. Position your iPhone to frame the shot you want to take.
  3. Tap the Shutter button on your Apple Watch screen.
remotely-control-iphone-camera1.jpg

By default, the shot is taken after three seconds to give you time to move into position, but you can disable the time and control other settings including flash, Live Photo, and HDR by tapping the ellipsis (three dots) button. The menu that this calls up also lets you switch between the front and rear iPhone camera.

If you don't have an Apple Watch, don't worry. You can also use Voice Control to remotely control the camera on your iPhone. That's because you can trigger the camera shutter with the volume buttons, which can also be controlled with your voice. Here's how it works.
How to Use Voice Control to Take a Photo

remotely-control-iphone-camera2-e1621850004320.jpg

1. Launch the Settings app.
  2. Tap Accessibility.
  3. Tap Voice Control.
  4. Turn on the switch next to Voice Control so it's in the green ON position. (You should see a little microphone icon in the top-left corner of your screen indicating that Voice Control is active.)
  5. Next, launch the Camera app and line up your shot.
  6. When you're ready, say "Turn up the volume," to activate the camera's shutter and take the picture.
  7. When you're finished, you can disable Voice Control by toggling the switch again in Settings.
How to Take a Picture Remotely With Siri

If you're familiar with the Shortcuts app, you can find a shortcut in the Gallery called "Say Cheese" that lets you use Siri to control your iPhone's camera remotely.

siri-shortcut-say-cheese-e1621850574488.jpg

Once you've added it to your active shortcuts and given it permission to access your camera and microphone, you'll be able to take photos remotely simply by saying "Hey Siri, say cheese."

Article Link: How to Remotely Control Your iPhone Camera With or Without an Apple Watch

Reactions: Azzin and ericgtr12

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Thanks for sharing, very helpful ... but as with any camera, you need a tripod and how many iPhone users have tripods? or a secure place, object or such to keep the phone stable and safe, that's typically the hardest part.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
This is a situation where shaking or twisting the wrist could take the picture if the other hand is holding the iPhone 12 Pro Max

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Is that a typo? Seems like it should be “Take a picture” instead.
You can take a picture by pressing the volume rocker buttons when the camera is open. So with voice control, you can navigate around the iOS interface with just your voice. I haven’t tested it but I’m sure you could also “choose” the white circle icon (to take a picture normally) using voice control, but the volume button is easier to access.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I love Siri Shortcuts. There are so many useful things I have built out with it. Automations, HomeKit, and just other useful tasks. Definitely going to make one for this camera shortcut! Thank you for this post!

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I just tried the "say cheese" command with Siri on my 12 Pro Max and it pretty much sucks just like anything else that involves using Siri. I tried it and it takes like ten seconds to think about what it needs to do then another five seconds to execute the command. This sucks. I love my iPhones to death but Siri has never, ever impressed me to say the least. I rarely use any sort of voice command stuff but when I do, I use Google which does the job 98% of the time. Unlike Siri which might do the job 2% of the time...

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
Thanks for sharing, very helpful ... but as with any camera, you need a tripod and how many iPhone users have tripods? or a secure place, object or such to keep the phone stable and safe, that's typically the hardest part.
iPhone tripods are available on Amazon for $30 or so.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
Probably one of the best Apple Watch features, especially during a pandemic. I’ve been using it since the Apple Watch first came out, but I recently used it this weekend in Tahoe with my tripod for the group pictures. Made it so everyone was in the shots and we didn’t have to ask random strangers to touch our phones. I did forget it in the hotel for one part of the trip, so I had to find spots where I could prop my phone. Those photos obviously didn’t come out as great.

Reactions: Azzin

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Good ideas. Never knew about the voice command. I bought a Bluetooth shutter remote recently for under $20 and it works great up to 20 feet away. Super handy. I like that it has a single button (plus a tiny on/off slider) that I can feel while I'm looking at the shot in the viewer (or posing with family) while the camera is on a tripod. (No need to look at a touch screen to see what I'm pushing) I do a lot of product stills and video, and my iPhone 11pro has been plenty good for my client's needs.

Lazrhog

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
UK
I just tried the "say cheese" command with Siri on my 12 Pro Max and it pretty much sucks just like anything else that involves using Siri. I tried it and it takes like ten seconds to think about what it needs to do then another five seconds to execute the command. This sucks. I love my iPhones to death but Siri has never, ever impressed me to say the least. I rarely use any sort of voice command stuff but when I do, I use Google which does the job 98% of the time. Unlike Siri which might do the job 2% of the time...
This comment should be the number 1 rated. This is absolutely my experience. I would always take an Alexa over anything with Siri in it because it's just so bad. I can ask Siri the temperature outside, wait for the spinning Siri logo to come up, then ask Alexa, get the answer, and Siri is still thinking about it

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
When I had my watch I used this a couple of times, for my own amusement

Always wondered how it sits with Apples privacy line, I didn't test it enough to see if it is always (if at all) obvious that a photo is being taken, remotely.

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
Yep, I'm puzzled by Siri's delay. Even if I say "set a 10 minute timer" there's a delay. Does Siri need to access Apple's servers for EVERY request? I wonder. o_O

kk200

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021
forget about Siri. Hide a bluetooth selfie stick in your hand is the perfect solution.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I'm so happy to learn about this feature (which I somehow missed before). And, even better, it works with video as well.

I haven't yet tested the range. Does anyone know how far away I can be from the phone and still control it with the watch?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
With a phone you just have to get creative and lots of everyday objects become tripods. When I tried out these commands, the closest object useable as a tripod was an (Oxford) shoe. Wedged the phone into it perpendicular to the axis of the shoe, pointing towards the heel. It had the advantage of providing some safety (ie, if the phone slipped out of its position, it would slide into the shoe and not fall to the ground) and allowed some tilting to adjust the 'aiming angle'. Your mileage might vary depending on your particular shoe.

Reactions: jz0309

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
With a phone you just have to get creative and lots of everyday objects become tripods. When I tried out these commands, the closest object useable as a tripod was an (Oxford) shoe. Wedged the phone into it perpendicular to the axis of the shoe, pointing towards the heel. It had the advantage of providing some safety (ie, if the phone slipped out of its position, it would slide into the shoe and not fall to the ground) and allowed some tilting to adjust the 'aiming angle'. Your mileage might vary depending on your particular shoe.
You can also get a Joby GorillaPod which allows you to easily attach your phone to a tree branch, railing, etc. They're pretty affordable and you can often find them used on eBay.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You can also get a Joby GorillaPod which allows you to easily attach your phone to a tree branch, railing, etc. They're pretty affordable and you can often find them used on eBay.
I do have a GorillaPod, but I don't have it with me all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.