Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nutzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
All,

I would like to know how to remotely wake up my Macbook Pro from sleep and be able to control it from a PC at work. What is the best practice etc...in the past, I've used logmein on pc to pc but not sure what is used for Macs.

Thanks for your help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
All,

I would like to know how to remotely wake up my Macbook Pro from sleep and be able to control it from a PC at work. What is the best practice etc...in the past, I've used logmein on pc to pc but not sure what is used for Macs.

Thanks for your help.
While it won't wake from sleep, I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

I use Caffeine, which will temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off.

To keep your MBP awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

NoSleep also keeps your Mac notebook awake when you close the lid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.