How to remove a stripped screw from MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinetickatie, Jan 25, 2009.

1. kinetickatie macrumors newbie

So I have begun to disassemble my MBP 17" so I can install a new bottom case.

So far so good...except for one thing: In the battery bay there are three small Phillips screws. I got the middle one out, but the other two are another story. They're at a slight angle, but are very, very hard to get to.

On the right one I tried supergluing a screwdriver tip to the screw to get it to move, but it wasn't strong enough. Now I've got some superglue stuck to the screw. Not like it matters...the screw head was already stripped. The left one is also stripped now.

I can't get anything underneath the edge of the screw to help pry it out.

I'm completely stumped as to how to get it out. As far as I can tell drilling may be the only option, but I have a few concerns. I don't want to get any shavings into the inside, so I am afraid of drilling. I know my dad is well versed in construction and knows how to drill out stripped screws, but I don't know if the same rules apply to laptops.

The screws are so small (require a #00 Phillips screwdriver)...and the placement of them is infuriating! Any special instructions on drilling the screws (other than being VERY careful and going as slow as possible)?

2. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If you can get access to a Dremel and and a small hand vacuum, that would be the best way to go. The Dremel will give you accuracy and the vacuum could be held by someone so that the shavings get sucked up as you drill.

The other option is to find an electronics repair place and see how much it would cost for you to get them drilled out. Good luck on finding replacement screws.

3. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Sometimes when you strip out a phillips head screw you can use a slotted screwdriver to remove it. All you really need to do is get enough of the screw backed out that you can grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers, and remove it the rest of the way with the pliers. You can get replacement screws from iFixit.com or your local Apple repair shop.

4. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

If u go to the Apple store I think theyll help u for free.