how to remove all photos from iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by monta17, Nov 14, 2011.

1. monta17 macrumors member

I have tried to remove all of my photos from iPhoto.

In iPhoto (while in the "photos" view) I selected all of the photos and put them in the iPhoto trash and then emptied the iPhoto trash. I thought that took care of it... they do NOT show up in any of the views ("events", "photos", "faces", "places"). However, when I go to my Finder and select "Pictures", the size of my iPhoto Library is 3.27GB. So I am assuming that they are still there somewhere... but where... and why?

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Were there any slideshows or maybe print projects in iPhoto? And if your goal was to kill what you had in iPhoto entirely, why didn't you Trash the iPhoto Library itself rather than deleting its contents?

3. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

I originally thought to trash the Library but wasn't sure if iPhoto will create a new one.
    So maybe I'll just try that.
    Thanks.

4. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

The next time you open iPhoto, it will create a new library but it will be empty.

5. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

6. nlind47 macrumors newbie

check Preferences

You might've had the situation I did. In Preferences, I had the block checked indicating that I wanted a copy of every photo I uploaded into iPhoto to be put in this other place. You can check this way:

Go to Finder

Be in your home directory folder

Go to Pictures

Highlight "iPhoto Library" but then RIGHT-CLICK on it and choose "Show Package Content"

Go to the ORIGINALS folder and see what's in there.

Anyway, it seems you've already found whatever solution you needed. Just throwing this out there... :)

7. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks (nlind47) for the info. I will make a note of this for next time (had not come across this before).
    Cheers.