How to remove app icons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Boca, May 21, 2011.

1. Boca macrumors 6502

To the right (facing screen) of Firefox (after Help) begins the strip of icons for various apps I'm using. How can I remove one or more of these? It's really cluttered up the look and some are dups of what's in the dock. thanks have a great weekend.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you talking about the Menu Bar? Can you provide a screen capture to illustrate exactly what you're talking about?

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Firefox app view.png

Here is a view. I talking about the small icons to the right (screen facing) of the Help...twitter, etc.

5. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried "CMD + dragging off" then, as that is the Menu Bar?

The blue icon on the left seems to be Twitter, then Skype, Dropbox, ..., Adobe Updater, Alfred, Evernote, ..., then the standard Mac OS icons.
    [​IMG]
    If you want them gone, you can also use the preferences of these programs, either accessible by (right) clicking on them or via the application menu if the application is active.

Be sure to check out the link in my first post to learn more about Mac OS X and how it all works and is called.

6. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Sim: thanks. Will check out and read your suggestion from previous post :)

1. CMD and drag does not do anything on any of the apps you see.
    2. Preferences for Adobe reader doesn't seem to show (or I can't find) how to eliminate it from the menu. CMD click opens that app.
    This is no big deal but I would like to learn.
    thanks again .

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To access preferences on some Menu Bar icons, try Option+clicking the icon. You can also launch the associated app from your Applications folder and go to preferences from there.

8. simsaladimbamba

9. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, yes. Sim thanks so much! Have a great weekend! Really appreciate your taking the time to point me in the right direction!