how to remove application icons from desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1971, Jun 6, 2011.

1. pb1971 macrumors newbie

Ok:

I'm a new Mac user and I recently starting having a problem I can't figure out how to resolve. Suddenly large icons have started showing up on my desktop of applications I already have on the machine. For example, I use Firefox and the icon is down at the bottom of the screen, as it should be. However, there is also an icon that looks like a large hard drive with the firefox icon on it. When I double click, it displays the firefox icon and an arrow that is pointing to the applications folder. I would assume it's trying to tell me to drag the icon into the application folder. I have done that but still the large blue hard drive looking icon is still on my desktop. This same problem is also happening with a few other applications as well. I'm sure it's an easy fix, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help is much appreciated!

2. Jolly Jimmy, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The file you are talking about is a disk image that is mounted on your desktop. Software for OS X often comes in virtual disks like the Firefox one you have. Once you have transferred the contents to your system you can eject the image and delete the .dmg file.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Either by right/ctrl click, or just drag it to the trash.

4. tug macrumors 6502

if you mean that the disc image keeps appearing on your desktop, then open finder, click on finder (at the top in the toolbar) hit preferences, in the general pane just uncheck what items you dont want on your desktop.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

There's no reason the image should be mounted at all.

6. tug macrumors 6502

ok, so in that case the op should fireup the app initialy from finder and the image will no longer appear. :cool:

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Double-click the disk image. Drag the Firefox app to the Application's folder. Eject the disk image (Cmd-E). Find the .dmg file in the Downloads folder and drag it to the Trash. Drag the Firefox icon out of the Dock (it's pointing to the copy on the disk image most likely). Launch Firefox and/or drag it to the Dock where you want it. No more image on desktop if you followed those steps correctly.

jW