How to remove bootcamp after failed install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by oxfordguy, Nov 8, 2011.

1. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Hi - I need to remove bootcamp after a failed install*, basically I tried to install an Update version of Windows 7, not a a Full install, and the Windows 7 installer isn't accepting the license code (I think Bootcamp only works with a Full install). So now every time I boot, unless I hold down the option key, my machine tries to boot into the Windows installer.

EVen If i do end up purchasing a Full install version of Win 7, I would like to remove the existing failed installation first - how do I do this? Ideally I would like to also remove the bootcamp partition and restore the space to Mac OS X, is this possible? Thanks

* I was able to buy an Upgrade licenses for Windows 7 Ultimate cheaply through work, as I work for an Educational institution, and Win 7 Upgrade licenses (only) are offered to staff for home use at a reduced rate. I thought this would work, as I already have genuine Windows XP license, but it seems you must have a Full retail install license/disc to install Windows 7 via bootcamp

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In actuality, you CAN install your upgrade on Boot Camp, but you must do it twice: First, install Windows 7 like you did before, but do NOT try to activate it. Activation WILL fail the first time. This is normal. Then, go back into the Windows 7 installer while in Windows, and upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 7. This step will get the activation working properly.

Should you wish to remove the installation before trying again, you do that in Mac OS X, by running the Boot Camp Assistant and telling it to remove the Windows partition. It does the rest.

3. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm interested to explore this, but the problem I'm having is that its not accepting the registration key that came with disc ( tried my old XP key too, in case it was hat it wanted), so I can't get past this screen - haven't got as far as activation! I thought it might be that it was not accepting the Update version registration key because it I've come in through Boot Camp?

Okay, thanks. Ideally I'd like to be able to install Windows 7, though, if i can get the Update version to work.

4. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't understand what you mean about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 7 - do you mean from Win XP to Win 7?

Or do you mean I have to install XP first, then upgrade to Win 7 from that (choosing the clean install option)? I'm a bit confused...

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Nope. None of those. You insert the installation disc while Windows 7 is running, once you get the first install to a desktop, and choose Upgrade when prompted. Windows does the rest.

6. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the problem is that I couldn't get to the Desktop - should I try not entering in a serial number and de-selecting auto-activation on the initial try?

7. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

To remove the failed install partition go back into bootcamp assistant and delete it from there. The bootcamp assistant will take care of returning the space back to mac os x system disk.

I forget the details but it seems like on some of the upgrade win 7 disks yeah it seems like it does want a good serial number before proceeding. On the normal win 7 install disks you always get a choice of giving serial number right away or waiting till later ... though it may be a tad tricky figuring out how to skip around that part ( sorry been a while ).

Lots of other stuff in this forum recently where people point to iso images of win 7 install discs. You may want to take a look at some of those and get another ( different ) win 7 iso and burn a disc from that ( or burn a usb flash install drive ).

8. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

This worked, hurrah! Thanks for the tip, I now have Windows 7 Ultimate installed using the Upgrade Edition license.