How to remove copy protection from text?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by blackxacto, Sep 25, 2016.

1. blackxacto macrumors 6502

blackxacto

I copied text from a website on conversations between nazi scientists. I CANNOT make into a saveable text document because something in the text prevents saving it on my desktop.

Does anyone know of a way to display whatever coding in in the document?

2. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

if i was you i would just take the time to re write it onto a document more tedious but in the end it would work just as well.

3. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

I type w two fingers. Yes, I could, but hoping for a better way. Looking at Textwrangler to open it up. Maybe.

4. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

if you really want an answer you should provide the link.

5. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

Crap, I was hoping I wouldn't have to, I lost the url. It's wierd. I can create a pdf of the unsaved rich text file I made from the cut and pasted text, but I cannot save the rich text file I made.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    Here it is. Found it: http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/pdf/eng/English101.pdf

I had copied all text and pasted into a TextEdit rich text file, then styled the conversations.

6. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

no copy protection. just formatting. I copied and pasted into a pages document and then saved as rich text. the attached is your text.

Attached Files:

7. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

the doc you sent cannot be opened by any app I have. In fact the doc states in a menu pop up it can't be opened because I don't have permission. I had no issue copying the text from the url site, and pasting it into a doc, I just could not save the newly created doc, "because I don't have permission"
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    You didn't say if you successfully saved the doc you made. I couldn't.

8. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

I think your problem might be something else. have you tried this with other PDFs or creating/saving other docs? certainly I could save, that is how I ended up with a file to upload. does your User on your computer have administrative privileges?

9. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

I'm administrator, no other users. I made a pdf too of the url link, that is not the issue. For my purposes I then copied all the text from the pdf and added to a new TextEdit document, for styling, as I want better styling of the conversations. This TextEdit doc is unsavable. I keep being told I do not have permission.

I ask you to copy all the text in your document and add it to a new TextEdit document, THEN SAVE the TextEdit document. Tell me the results.

10. jerwin macrumors 65816

I now have a transcript saved to my Desktop. It's just a normal textfile, both readable and writable.

Where are you trying to save this document? Anything strange about the permissions for this directory?

Maybe take a screenshot of the error message?

11. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

when I save, it saves. no permissions issues. where are you trying to save to?

12. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

trying to save to Sierra desktop on a 17,1 iMac. I have no idea why this is happening. In past I have copied text from pdf's and pasted freely anywhere and save the doc after paste. I don't have a clue why copying text from this pdf is locked preventing a saved doc.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    The pdf I get from the url is not "Item Locked" using Apple+I.

13. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

I started over. Downloaded the pdf, selected all text, opened text in SmartWrap to strip out crap as possible, flowed into TextEdit Doc. Styled it. Saved it to desktop.

I have no idea why the same pdf doc and textedit doc before did not do just as it did this morning, and as normal. It works today.