How to remove dataplan from Iphone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ingenioso, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ingenioso macrumors newbie

Title says it all. I want to buy an iphone but do not need the Dataplan as I will be within wireless range all the time.

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure that you can do that.

If you call your provider, you can have them turn off any data signal, but to buy a new 3G phone, you have to commit to 2 years of the service.

The only possibility that I'm aware of would involve a used phone, and they've been out for such a short time... Good luck with that.

Also, since you can't currently unlock a 3G (yet), I'm not sure that it is even doable then.

Just suck up, and buy the plan... or don't. :shrug: I think those are probably your only options.

3. ingenioso thread starter macrumors newbie

4. l Shad0w l macrumors newbie

You should really search considering the dozens of threads on this same topic.

But to remove the data plan you will have to buy the iphone WITH the data plan then jus call up att up when you get home and ask them to remove the iphone data plan from your account since you no longer use it. Make sure your not using your iphone when calling them since there is some speculation whether or not they can tell if your using it to call. Well after you tell them that they will then ask for the imei # of the phone you will now be using, so you can just give them the imei number of your old phone and your all set. I've done this and can say it perfectly fine and works without a hitch, just make sure you turn off 3g, push, and remove they data pay per use from your account since data can get pretty hefty.

5. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

1. Buy an iPod Touch

2. Call AT&T and beg them to remove the data plan. Also, tell them to block any data, cause you'll have a huge bill at the end of the month if you accidently turn on the Internet

3. Buy an iPod Touch