How to remove DaveGrohl10.7 spyware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maki483, Apr 10, 2014.

1. maki483 macrumors newbie

I need help, I have no idea how to get rid of this spyware that I believe my ex put on my macbook pro.

I have looked around online to try and find a way to get rid of it but I can't find anything. All I know is that I found this random file called DaveGrohl10.7 and when I looked it up I found out that it was a spyware that acts like Keychain.

Please I really need help with this.

2. Tumbleweed666, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I would start by putting that file in the trash.
    Then check start up items for anything unfamiliar and remove those.
    Then reboot.
    Then install little snitch.

Then you can see if anything else is asking for permission to use the network that you dont recognise.

If that doesn't work, you are into a world of hurt, a fresh install, recover data only, re-install apps one at a time.

p.s. from what I can see its not spyware, its a password recovery program.
    So its possible it was used to access your passwords.

If I'm right, you need to change all your passwords online, which it pretty much seems you should be doing anyway because of Heartbleed. If someone is snooping on you, email would be the obvious first thing to change, followed by any financial accounts, eg bank, credit cards etc.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Honestly the best way is to backup your files (being careful) then boot up and use the disk utility to wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

If your ex managed to fall short on basic malware avoidance you don't know what else is on there and a compromised keychain is the worst thing you could be looking at.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

And to emphasise again, all the OPs passwords could be compromised, so key ones need to be changed ASAP.

5. nathreed macrumors newbie

Not spyware

DaveGrohl is not spyware but a password cracker. Your ex was probably trying to get a login password. See davegrohl.org