Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I just bought one of the new 4th generation iPod Nanos (8G). It's my first iPod and I hooked it up to my iBook as soon as I got it. It automatically opened up my iTunes, but I wasn't entirely sure how to put my music onto the Nano using iTunes.

So I opened up XFolders file manager and transferred all my music to my Nano using that, just like I had done for my old iAudio MP3 player. The files transferred and once I was done charging my Nano, I turned it on and it said there wasn't any music on it.

According to iTunes, I had almost 1GB of 'other' files on it, which I assumed was the music. I figured I must have to use iTunes to transfer my songs, so I hooked the Nano back up and figured out how to sync my music. That worked fine and the Nano said I had music on it.

Of course, then I had twice as many files on the Nano, since there was 2 copies of each song. According to iTunes, I had almost 1GB of 'other' and almost 1GB of 'audio'.

So I next went back to XFolders and deleted the files that I had previously transferred using the file manager. According to the XFolders, the files were gone from my Nano.

But, according to both my Nano and iTunes, I still have almost 1GB of 'other' files on it. So I guess those files were never actually removed? How do I go about removing them?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Just turn on disk mode on the nano and you should be able to navigate it like an external HD, then delete them (and on a Mac, Empty the trash).

TEG

AppleDuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Ok, I figured out how to put it in disk mode. It's in disk mode now. Now how do I remove the files? I've never used an external hard drive, so I have no idea how to use it like one.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
On Windows, it should just appear as a hard Drive in "My Computer" then just use it like a disk drive and delete the files that you added to it.

On OS X is just appears on the desktop, open it and remove the music files.

Most important file are in hidden files, so there should be no worry about deleting them.

TEG

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
And to put music on the iPod, you have to use iTunes. Go into the main iPod screen on iTunes and select "manage music manually" or whatever, it's much easier.

And then select all you want to transfer in your iTunes library and drag it over to the iPod icon in iTunes.

Link to full iPod Nano user manual

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.