Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narendar Singh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
INDIA
I have a text coming from the server in following way:
AT&T

How to remove & from the this string.

Additionally I dont want to replace on & with &

I am looking for a solution in which all the &xxx; will be changed in correct character.

I have tried stringByReplacingPercentEscapesUsingEncoding but it was not working.

Narendar Singh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
INDIA
What do you want it replaced with? Nothing?

I'm confused. What do you mean by "correct character"? And do you want that for & as well, or is it a special case?

Some of the examples:

" should change with "
& should change with &
'
< should change with <
>

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I don't think there's anything built-in to easily do this, so I've been using Google's GTMNSString+HTML category. I haven't been able to find a link to it at the "Google Toolbox for Mac" site so I extracted it from this github project: MWFeedParser

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I have a text coming from the server in following way:
AT&T

How to remove & from the this string.

Additionally I dont want to replace on & with &

I am looking for a solution in which all the &xxx; will be changed in correct character.

I have tried stringByReplacingPercentEscapesUsingEncoding but it was not working.

Some of the examples:

" should change with "
& should change with &
&apos;
< should change with <
>

It might be possible to do this using a UIWebView. I can't see that being a high performance solution though (create off-screen web view, insert string, let it render, read text back)

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I ran into a similar problem on the project I am working on. I ended up implementing a category which can take care of the conversion for me using libxml2. First, I run through the string and convert any named entities into their hex equivalent, then I run the converted string through libxml2 to convert the hex entities into the unicode character. You can take a look at the code on GitHub. Find the NSString category named MITAdditions_HTMLEntity; - (NSString *)stringByDecodingXMLEntities is the method that performs the conversion. A word to the wise, though, the method is rarely used so it was a brute force approach and hasn't been optimized (or really cleaned up at all...).

blueillusion

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
take a look at the NSRegularExpression class, specifically the methods:

Code:
replaceMatchesInString:options:range:withTemplate:
stringByReplacingMatchesInString:options:range:withTemplate:

I've used this to go the other way around. ie < becomes <
You could easily use the functions to do the reverse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.