How to remove iCloud tabs (wiped iPhone)?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by GrandPhrase, Oct 15, 2012.

1. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Hey so I recently got an iPhone 5, coming from an iPhone 4. I deleted all my content and settings on my iPhone 4 thru the reset options and deleted its backup from iCloud. (Still do have the iPhone 4 backup on iTunes, however)

I am checking the iCloud Safari tabs from my iPad, iPhone 5, and my Macbook and they all show "iPhone 4 tabs" still.

Why are these tabs here, even after the iPhone 4 wipe and backup deletion from iCloud? Is it because the 4's backup is still on iTunes..? Or another reason?

So can I remove the iPhone 4 tabs? Thanks in advance.

2. khadgar2k1 macrumors member

you just wait it out. icloud automatically removes them after a few days

3. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

4. GrandPhrase thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. And does this apply only to wiped devices or also up and running devices that are connected to the internet but haven't been touched for a while?

5. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

6. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

This is beyond idiotic...

It all may just seem like a minor "inconvenience" when the tabs are just harmless web pages, but it's an unmitigated disaster when the tabs are to something very personal or embarrassing that is now "locked" on someone else's computer Safari for the next week-plus.

And while I wouldn't blame you for having a brief chuckle, this is the sort of no-brain "we'll take care of everything for you" nanny-state that Apple has been getting a reputation for recently. Why on earth isn't the user allowed full control over something like this?

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

One might ask why you shared your personal iCloud login information with others when you well know that you use your computer for personal things.

If I gave my GMail password to someone I couldn't then blame Google when that someone logs in and reads my emails.

8. xmaseve macrumors regular

I agree 100%

Falls in line with not being able to remove individual photo-stream pictures when that was first released.

9. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Typical "blame the victim" response.

For the record, I didn't share my iCloud login info with anyone. I was helping a family member who was having trouble with iCloud syncing. To check whether her account was working, I logged into *her* iCloud account on *my* Mac. iCloud then merged our Safari bookmarks and iCloud tabs together. When I logged out of her account, everything stayed merged, including my iCloud tabs on her computer, which are unremovable.

I didn't think I had to explain that, because that's not really the point. The point is that it's a poorly thought-out feature that needs to be fixed.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No it's not.

Blaming the Victim:
    "Someone stole something from me!" -> "That's your fault."

Not Blaming the Victim:
    "I gave something to someone and now they have it." -> "That's your fault."

Or (and maybe this is what I'm missing) did you expect to iCloud to have some amazing "un-merge" feature? If so, what lead you to that idea? I'm not aware of any service that offers that. If I merge two address books or bookmark lists or whatever with any other software product or service, that's pretty final.

You're upset because iCloud works exactly the same as every other thing out there?

11. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

I started to write a thoughtful response, but then realized I'm wasting my time with someone who just likes to argue. Nothing you've said has any relevance to what I've said or the issue of not being able to clear iCloud tabs.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If you share macs/computers/etc they have login screens ;) An iPad or iPhone is supposed o be individual device not shared so having these types of things is not really a problem for most of us. In my mac I have a guest account for the person that needs to check their stuff.