how to remove items from trash back to their original place

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ghostropic, Oct 12, 2009.

1. ghostropic macrumors newbie

I was trying to delete one album from itunes, so i quickly ctrl A, delete, move files to trash, enter, then all of a sudden I realize my entire library was highlighted and deleting to my trash can! so now I have a trash can full of music and I can't figure out how to get it all back to itunes music folder or even out of the can! ahh plz help!

I guess I can drag Items from the trash to my desktop, but I need to bring back like 9000 things from the trash which all deleted individually so dragging them all to my desktop doesnt sound like a good idea. EEP.

2. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Maybe things have changed but I know when I started using a mac on Tiger there was no equivalent of the restore to original place function on Windows. And looking at my Trash can on Leopard I still can't see a way to do it. Maybe Snow Leopard?

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Right click on the item in the trash and select "Put Back".

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

..... if you have Snow Leopard (10.6 onwards)

Or what might be easier is, do you have Time Machine? If so, use that. If not, use a backup. If you don't have that, consider the work you have got to do to restore the library a timely warning, and get some backup :)

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In recent "history" of the Mac OS, that statement is exactly correct. For Leopard, Tiger, and maybe any prior OSX version, there was no equivalent. But, OS 9 and earlier (at least back to 7) had a "Put Away" menu command that would do exactly what the OP wants, and do it from the Desktop as well. I'm told that Snow Leopard has revived the function, under a slightly different name.

No, not at all. But why not create a temporary holding folder for them? Or create several holding folders by category. Drag 'em there first, then on to where they need to be.

(By the way, it's always good to mention what OS you have when you ask a troubleshooting question.)

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

and who's to say he's not using 10.6?

If you need a function that is available in 10.6, you should upgrade asap.

7. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

lol, you need snow leopard just to restore things properly from the trash bin???

8. ghostropic thread starter macrumors newbie

figured it out

Okay, I have snow leopard. There is a 'put back' command but I think its only for either certain files or you can only do it to one item at a time because It gave me that option on a random folder I had in the trash. For the 8000+ files I made a new folder on my desktop and dragged them into that, then dragged that folder to itunes (luckily i had the memory for that) then once copied into itunes and organized into itunes music folder, I deleted the "new folder" on my desktop. hurray. thanks everyone!

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

8:27AM

8:33AM

8:33AM

Simul-posts!