Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
I have a macOS with an enabled iCloud Photo library. Now I want to disable the iCloud Photos on the specific mac and delete all photos from the specific mac.

I did disable the Photos from the iCloud settings.

Now if I open the Photos app again, all the photos are still here. So I deleted the ~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary. file but if I open Photos it tells me "The library “Photos Library.photoslibrary” is in use by another program"

I rebooted the mac and opened photos again and it told me "Restoring library .." and after a while all the local photos showed up again.

How can I get rid of those photos and start a new local only Photo library?

cheers

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2013
How did you deleted the Library.photoslibrary? Did you just put it in the bin?

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
How did you deleted the Library.photoslibrary? Did you just put it in the bin?
I moved it to a temp folder .. which I think is the issue and the Photo app actually finds it.

Here is what I did and what worked.
- Move / delete the `.photoslibrary`
- Start the Photo app when holding the Option key

The Photo app then prompts me if which Library I want to use and also give me the option to create a new one which is what I wanted.

That solved my problem

cheers

Reactions: Mojo1019

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2013
I moved it to a temp folder .. which I think is the issue and the Photo app actually finds it.

Here is what I did and what worked.
- Move / delete the `.photoslibrary`
- Start the Photo app when holding the Option key

The Photo app then prompts me if which Library I want to use and also give me the option to create a new one which is what I wanted.

That solved my problem

cheers
Nice! Indeed I was thinking that you did't delete the old file, but just move it. Happy you solved this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.