HOW TO REMOVE "OTHER" STORAGE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stuey12345, Oct 18, 2015.

1. stuey12345 macrumors member

I have 4.9gb of storage in "other". How can i delete this without restoring iphone???

2. anthonybkny macrumors 6502

anthonybkny

Setting/general/other and delete everything there
    ;)

3. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

What???

4. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Well, very straightforward. :D

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The "other" is memory Apple uses for the OS and will fluctuate continuously. Even if you get it to decrease, it will return quickly.

7. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Back to normal.
    If iOS has incomplete or corrupted downloads, unknown leftover files, etc etc, those will be reported as "others".
    In fact, "Others" are just "not recognizable" file in Mac OS X and iOS. Possibly those files which are not video, music, photo files, backup files and/or some not-indexed files.
    Here is an example. If due to some reason, your iPhone iTunes library is broken, all music on your device will be treated as "others" and cannot be read by Music app. I have seen this many times when using one of iOS 9 beta. At that time there was a long "other" stripe in iTunes, and I couldn't remove it through iTunes.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Backup. Restore iPhone. Restore from backup. It will wipe out 'other' but retain everything else (do encrypted backup to save health data). But it's useless. Give it a few months and the other will grow again.

9. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Yeah, as mentioned OTHER can be just about anything.

Example: I use a Comic Reader for the one or two series that are interesting enough they make it to my devices (big book person, not so much comic... but a few have phenomenal story lines) and when you import them into the app they show up in OTHER. I can delete them from the app, or delete the app, and it'll clear up the space... but there's no indication of what they are unless you know you have been uploading files to it.

10. GaryNoine macrumors member

GaryNoine

There's an app, Battery Doctor. It clears out a lot of junk and worked for me on my old phone (I only had 16gb and approx. 5gb was "other"). Also deleting saved emails, notes, voice memos, etc is something else you can do if you don't want to restore from backup

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

This only clears caches, not actual junk files, like corrupt iTunes files. Only a restore can remove those files (Now that iFunbox and those apps don't work anymore).

I use battery doctor before performing backups to remove as much bloat as possible, so when restoring, caches don't transfer over, but corrupt files and other 'other' won't be removed with battery doctor.

12. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Just goto settings and storage and if any app is significantly over its stated app size that could be whats causing it. You dont have to delete the app in all cases. Some apps you can delete the data in the app. For instance a podcast app taking up 1GB+ just go in and deletenplayed episodes

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

This data doesn't usually count torwards 'other'. It counts as 'apps' or 'documents and data'.

14. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Yes true but there are some cases where it doesnt. Of course make sure you have upgraded itunes to latest. I know most of this is the streamed videos from itunes stuck in cache from my xp

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Yeah. The streaming videos getting stuck in cache is just plain stupid. If I stop watching it, it should delete the file. I've finished a movie and still had 6GB in cache. Had to start the movie again and manually scrub to the end to get it to delete.

16. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Wow that works?? If so Thanks for the hack

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Yes. Once the device sees its complete, it will dump it from cache. Just make take a couple times.

18. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502a

Videos and photos in Messages count towards Other.

19. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Yep, deleting some content-rich message conversations restored gigabytes of space.

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes it does. Some apps are notorious. There is no 'documents and data' category in iTunes, it falls under 'Other'.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445600909.910521.jpg

21. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Itunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> You click once: Reset, Reset Warnings and Reset Cache -> Plug iPhone to Mac and Sync.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I really hope you are kidding...

Documents and data has been there since iOS 1. It wasn't until iOS 8.3 that iTunes properly sorted the data from 'other' to 'documents and data' but the category has always existed.

Attached Files:

23. pavankotharu macrumors newbie

Follow the below steps and it will remove the "other" storage from your iphone.

First check the space remaining in your iphone by going to Settings, General , Storage & iCloud Usage. Note down the used and the available storage.

1. Go back to Settings and click on icloud

2. UnCheck Safari. When it prompts, select the "Delete from My iphone" option.

3. UnCheck News. When it prompts, select the "Delete from My iphone" option.

4. UnCheck Calendar if necessary. When it prompts, select the "Delete from My iphone" option.

That is it. Now again goto Settings, General , Storage & iCloud Usage. Check if the available storage is restored.

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Yeah this is not the source of 'other'. My other is current 2.4GB. My Safari takes up 8.9MB, Calendar takes up 1.4MB and News takes up nothing because I have only opened it once. Everything mentioned above would go to 'Documents and Data' category, not other.