Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
If everything fails, just soak your band in more ink and make a cool light blue band nobody in the world has but you. Even Tim Cook doesn't have it. (although apparently he spilled some red ink on his crown)

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Comment

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
Find the same pen and put a dot where the stain is. Immediately clean with nail polish remover.

Comment

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
If it's anything like the white plastic of the iPhone case I used to have it will never come off. The dye/stain actually penetrates the plastic and is not on the surface where it can be cleaned off. I actually soaked my case in Clorox/bleach and it did nothing. When white plastic is stained like that it may be permanent! :cool:

Comment

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I had a pen leak today and I inadvertently got some on my watch band. It's a faint blue stain but I'd like to get rid of it. I tried the following so far with no success:

Water
Hand sanitizer
Pink pencil eraser
Toothpaste and water rubbed with a microfiber.

Thanks.

Mind sharing what else you tried, and if you had any success?

Comment

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Mind sharing what else you tried, and if you had any success?

Hairspray: fail
Rubbing alcohol: fail

Magic eraser clone from the dollar store: success!

I was able to remove roughly 90% of the stain on the visible side of the band. Another stain on the back of the band was hardly affected at all, but at least it's on the non-visible side. It's odd because they were both ink stains. Maybe the two sides differ somehow?

Comment

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012

I was able to remove roughly 90% of the stain on the visible side of the band. Another stain on the back of the band was hardly affected at all, but at least it's on the non-visible side. It's odd because they were both ink stains. Maybe the two sides differ somehow?

Magic Eraser FTW!

Comment

Entopia7

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Glad you found a solution! Magic Erasers are amazing, but keep in mind that they are basically a foam built from an incredibly hard microabrasive. They work like any other abrasive, removing material.

Comment

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012

Thanks for the update!

Comment

greentoneN

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Just a quick addendum...

I too had the same problem. A white band with a blue-ish/purple-ish ink stain on the bottom of my band, which I got from keeping my arm resting on a notepad where I had just taken down some notes (argh!). I tried most of the same treatment methods you guys reported here; water, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, lemon half, and a stick of "Gallseife" (Swiss soap that gets out just about anything). It seemed that the lemon half did the most to reduce the stain by about 30% after about 10 minutes of treatment.

I read that acetone would probably be a bad choice, but found some non-acetone nail polish remover at Target (generic brand), with the main ingredient ethyl acetate. I really wasn't sure if this would be any better, but gave it a try. Within about 10 seconds the stain was 95% gone, and now I have to stare at the band to find the ink stain remnants. The band itself is in good condition, although it does feel a little bit different than the other band I did not subject to the various treatment methods. It is very hard to tell a difference though, and I suspect that the treated band might simply be cleaner than the other band. Someone with more knowledge of ethyl acetate and fluoroelastomer, might able to speak more to the compatibility of the two substances. I, however, am really happy with the results.

If this happened to you, and you're not getting the right results from the magic eraser (or any of the other suggested methods), ethyl acetate might just be the right solution for you.

IMG_0058.jpg

Last edited:
Comment

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Just a quick addendum...

I too had the same problem. A white band with a blue-ish/purple-ish ink stain on the bottom of my band, which I got from keeping my arm resting on a notepad where I had just taken down some notes (argh!). I tried most of the same treatment methods you guys reported here; water, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, lemon half, and a stick of "Gallseife" (Swiss soap that gets out just about anything). It seemed that the lemon half did the most to reduce the stain by about 30% after about 10 minutes of treatment.

I read that acetone would probably be a bad choice, but found some non-acetone nail polish remover at Target (generic brand), with the main ingredient ethyl acetate. I really wasn't sure if this would be any better, but gave it a try. Within about 10 seconds the stain was 95% gone, and now I have to stare at the band to find the ink stain remnants. The band itself is in good condition, although it does feel a little bit different than the other band I did not subject to the various treatment methods. It is very hard to tell a difference though, and I suspect that the treated band might simply be cleaner than the other band. Someone with more knowledge of ethyl acetate and fluoroelastomer, might able to speak more to the compatibility of the two substances. I, however, am really happy with the results.

If this happened to you, and you're not getting the right results from the magic eraser (or any of the other suggested methods), ethyl acetate might just be the right solution for you.

View attachment 591431

Ethyl acetate is actually incompatible with fluoroelastomers, no different from acetone. The band now feels a little different probably due to the degradation of the fluoroelastomer. I suppose it's a last ditch effort if you can't get anything off, if you put up with the result of degrading the band a bit.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.