How to remove Rar Expander?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miw, Jun 23, 2010.

1. miw macrumors newbie

Hi! I am pretty new with Mac. I have installed the application called Rar Expander because I needed to open a .rar file... But then I changed my mind and installed UnrarX instead. I want to remove Rar Expander but I can't seem to find it in the applications folder. I even tried searching for it on Spotlight but it won't show up.

How will I be able to completely get rid of the app? .. I remember installing other apps that didn't appear in the Applications folder as well. Why are there apps that don't appear in the Applications folder? And how will I remove them in case I won't use them anymore in the future?... I just feel that it's a waste of space to just let it sit there and not completely remove it.

Please help me. Thanks!

2. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I don't see anything inside the application that would indicate installing other things throughout the system. It's not in your Downloads folder or Utilities folder perhaps. Spotlight should have found it regardless.

3. miw thread starter macrumors newbie

you mean, it's like a stand alone program?

sorry, I'm pretty new with Mac. Been using Windows all my life. And it kind of confused me.

So when I delete the file I downloaded. It means it's all deleted?

4. MacTech68, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Try searching for:

RAR_Expander

including the underscore.

5. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

It's a standalone program like most applications on OS X. You should just be able to drag it to the Trash. However like Windows we also have uninstallers on Mac OS X. I use the free TrashMe application when I need to get rid of excess files on my system.

If you can find Rar Expander then just dump it in the Trash on your Dock. Which by the looks of it you already have.

6. miw thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi mactech68, I tried it with the underscore but still no result. Maybe I have deleted it already? Cos I got confused. It never showed up in my App folder, if it doesn't show up in my App folder, does it mean it's a stand alone program?

Hi allan, IDK maybe I have already deleted it? .. It never showed up in my Applications folder. But I deleted the file/installer that I downloaded. Maybe it is already gone.

7. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

The way that OS X works with most apps is like standalone apps. For instance you'll know when it's an actual installer because the icon is a brown box with yellow content. If you don't see anything along these lines then it should be safe to assume that it's a standalone application that you can drag where ever you like, but best to put it in the apps folder for consistency.'

If you ever download for instance Firefox - then you will see the Firefox logo and an arrow pointing towards your Applications folder on your harddisk. If it has an arrow on it then it's an Alias - kinda like shortcuts on Windows - just drag Firefox onto this folder. Also Adium has a similar thing where you can just drag the app onto your apps folder because it's a standalone app and not an installer. Glimmerblocker is an installer because it needs to act as a proxy. iLife and iWork are installers too. You can tell by their icon - the brown box.

8. miw thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand now. Yeah I noticed some Apps had the Arrow icon pointing to Applications.. And some had this yellow box. Thank you so much for your help. I get it now. :)

9. miw thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh btw, what if I install plugins like Adobe Flash Player, where can I find those? How do I remove those as well? They don't seem to appear in the App folder.

10. MacTech68, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Either:

/Users/YOUR USERNAME/Library/Internet-Plugins/

or

/Library/Internet-Plugins/

11. miw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks MacTech68! Saw them under Library/Internet-Plugins :)