How to remove second menu bar? And more...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ppdix, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

******! As always Apple introduces new things without giving the user a choice of removing or turning them off! :mad:
    I have dual monitors, one mounted vertically.
    Now, I have a greyed out menu bar on the second screen and it is distracting and really bothers me. I am a photographer, and I use the second monitor to see full screen photos. Now, I have the stupid menu distracting me!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    How the hell can I turn it off????
    I also hate the fact that when you click on anything on the second screen, the other menu greys out. Clicking again will make it full opacity again.
    No choices ever from Apple. Damn it!
    Also moving windows from one display to another changes the opacity of the window when it is half way across the screens and it is annoying as hell and unnecessary...
    Who the hell do they have working at Apple?
    iOS 7 is the worst OS in history and now this 10.9 is another buggy and useless update.

On another note... The same crappy GRAPHITE Appearance theme in OSX after 14 years of introducing the PowerMac G4 Graphite, which was discontinued in 2005... ????
    Gimme a break. Come up with a second color scheme for buttons and windows... How hard can it be?

I miss System 8 and the hundreds of ways to customize it.
    I am very disappointed with Apple lately.
    As a Mac user since 1987, I am very pissed off. :mad:

One more thing. As a user of Apple Aperture since v1.0, I had major issues with versions 3.3 and up so I was still using 3.2.4. As soon as I upgraded to 10.9. My "old" Aperture won't work anymore. I am now forced to use the buggy 3.4.5... :mad:

2. notrack macrumors 6502

While I have no issues with Aperture 3.4 or 3.5, I understand your display complaints. Got annoyed from that flipping back and forth with the menu bar. Sometimes transparent, sometimes not. Sometimes it doesn't even switch the app on one side so I have menus of two apps at the same time.

I use my displays horizontally, so the second menu bar is rather obsolete. The menu items of right display are close to the center of both, the menu items of the left display are too far away to the left. I'd rather have a second dock.

3. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Actually aperture is completely unresposive. To the point that even
    Clicking menus takes a full second to react.
    and switching projects and navigating on 100% zoomed photos on either screen is impossible. I experienced huge video problems
    On 3.3 and higher with my setup, even on 10.8. Thats why i was still using 3.2.4.
    It is twice as fast, at least on my system.
    Everything is slower for me on 10.9. a lot slower in fact.
    I need a system that will work for me and this is not.
    I decided to restore back to 10.8.5. Thanks to time machine I can.
    I will wait until December when I replace
    My 2010 Mac Pro.
    Hopefully aperture 4 will be released along side my future 12-core Mac Pro.
    Until then, I need a reliable machine. I'm sticking with 10.8.
    I just wish I could easily downgrade to ios 6 but not possible on my iPhone 5s. :(

4. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

I think I found a fix for the "Second Menu Bar" problem.
    Go into System Preferences...Mission Control.
    Un-check the box that says "Displays have separate spaces".
    Log off. Log back on...menu bar should be gone .
    But it returns the display behavior to Mt Lion mode...the other display goes gray when running an app full screen :(

5. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

the menu bar switches back and forth depending which screen is active. different displays are now treated as different spaces to accommodate full screen apps better and make switching between spaces on multiple displays easier.

6. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

yes, but if you read the OP first post, he does not want the menu bar on top of his full screen app on his secondary display.

7. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

if the menu bar is still shown when an app is full screen, then it is an issue with the app. all of my full screen apps hide both the menu bar and the dock on that display, including third party apps

it's something that will get updated as apps start to get updated versions for mavericks.

8. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

Ahh..OK. Thank you Matt

----------

Matthew, do you know of a way to force an application, like Mail, to always open on the second display? I can get it to work with the above method, but then I loose the second menu bar functionality.

9. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

if you have an app with an open window, you can secondary click on the dock icon and go to "options" and it should give you the option to set it to all desktops or a the specific desktop it's currently on. i think if you do that then it should open on that desktop every time.

10. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

I have three choices under the "Option" menu...
    Keep In Dock
    Open At Login
    Show in Finder
    ????

11. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Underneath that, under Options, you should have, for a running app, "Assign to... All Desktops, Desktop on Display 1, Desktop on Display 2, None" (assuming you have 2 displays).

12. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

You definitely should. :)

Did you turn off Displays have separate spaces?

13. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

I did that (read above posts), but then I loose the second menu bar and it then acts like Mt Lion when running full screen apps

14. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I read the posts. I've been running Mavericks for a few months, and I've never tried turning off Displays have separate spaces (because it requires rebooting, and I like the Mavericks functionality). I was thinking that perhaps you lose the ability to assign an app to a monitor if you turn off separate spaces.

15. mklaman macrumors member

it's a bug that's happening to me too.

i have an identical setup at work and my dock will show on both screens and i have those options to put an app on a specific desktop.

on my home setup, my dock it stuck to one screen and also don't have those options.

both have the same settings checked.

16. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Yep. Sounds like a bug or a conflict with something.

17. mklaman, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

mklaman macrumors member

so if anyone is having this issue, i believe i have solved it.

---

if your dock is not showing on a specific screen, goto your display settings and then go to the 'arrangement' tab.

if your screens are only touching tips (like so:http://d.pr/i/brPg), you will have dock issues.

move your screens so they share more of a side and it will fix your problem.

enjoy!

(EDIT: while this does fix the dock not showing issue, it does not fix the option to keep certain apps on certain desktops. UGH.)

18. notrack macrumors 6502

Sad to hear that. Mavs and Aperture gave me a speed bump. Hope it will be rather awerome with your new machine. :rolleyes: and I really really hope there will be a new (and not feature-reduced) Aperture.

ML mode is fine for me since I don't use full screen. The way it is now, I have only gained a buggy flipflop menu bar.

My displays are side by side but the Dock decided to pull off a no-show on my installation :D

19. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Open up mission control and add a new space to the secondary monitor. You should now have the additional Options when you right click on the Dock icon.

20. jpine macrumors 6502

Thanks for the workaround!

21. BuDWiZe, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

BuDWiZe macrumors newbie

can't get rid of menubar on second monitor

im not sure what is going on but I've just hooked up to my TV as a second screen to run plex. second screen has the top menu and it doesn't go away even when full screening plex/vlc/mplayerx ect the menu still sits at top on top of the program

does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the menu bar on the second screen?

22. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Huh weird. This week I hooked up my MBA to my TV and ran VLC full screen to watch a movie. The second menu bar nicely disappeared.

Might be worth it to test with VLC and see if it's strictly a Plex thing.

23. iLLucionist macrumors regular

I have the exact same problem. When I full-size VLC on my external monitor (MBP late 2010, DisplayPort), my laptop screen keeps displaying the menubar.

Perhaps it's related to apps that might not have implemented new full screen/multiple monitor API of 10.9?

24. matthewadams macrumors regular

Going to System Prefs -> Mission Control and disabling "Displays have seperate spaces" might help.