How to remove square background behind icon

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gapperonduty, Sep 10, 2010.

1. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

Hi all--

I did some research on google but no real answer so i thought i ask the experts here. Anyone know how to remove the square background/mask/backdrop (whatever you call it) behind the app icon? I believe iphone automatically add one for every icon but i hope there is a mask.png somewhere to rename to disable this!

To illustrate

[​IMG]

BIG ARROW: i renamed appiconmask and appiconoverlay.png in theme/com.apple.mobileicons.framework. Work as i wanted it to for all third party icons

but...

small arrow: all default apps of the iphone are not changed.

Look forward to some helpful advice! :)

2. gapperonduty thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I am already on the right track! Default apps icons all have that square background. So now i need o figure out how to edit those defaut
    App icon to remove the square

3. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

4. gapperonduty thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup! Figures it out that there is a mask created by iphone that introduces automatically a black shadow and a gray square behind. Once i remove that, evrtythin g works eith the ttansparent glaskart HD! default app just have the background in their icon !

Got it! Thanx!

This thread is full of boring soliloquy! Lol

5. recare macrumors newbie

i have the same problem. What's your solution?

I have the same problem. I have gray background on some of the app. Would you help? What's the solution?

thanks
    wecare

6. Atlanta15braves macrumors newbie

Same, need help

Any tutorial, tips or help would be appreciated. I am trying to change my apple remote app icon and it changes, it just isn't transparent