How to remove the hard drive from an old MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by timiscute, Nov 12, 2010.

1. timiscute, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010

timiscute macrumors member

I'm not the most computer savy guy in the world but I thought I'd ask the question. Is there a way to remove the hard drive from an old MacBook I have that stopped working (the plug where the power cord goes in is messed up nothing is wrong with the hard drive I believe) and use that hard drive as an external hard drive for my new(ish) iMac and use it for extra space? It would be amazing if I could. Anyone know how I can do this? thanks

~Tim

2. timiscute thread starter macrumors member

awesome can someone give me a quick step by step guide on how to remove the hard drive/and erase everything off it. And are there certain enclosures that are not compatible or something? thanks I really know nothing about this sort of thing

and these enclosures just plug in via usb?

3. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Follow http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/Mac one of their guides just choose your laptop. Its pretty simple to remove the hard drive.

Just look for an enclosure that's 2.5" and yes they just plug right into the USB.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Once the drive is in an enclosure, hook it up to your iMac and use Disk Utility to Format the drive.

5. timiscute thread starter macrumors member

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

7. timiscute, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

timiscute thread starter macrumors member

I'ts a powerbook I mistyped in the OP sorry

can someone please help me with the emi fingers? the only thing i see under the screw i just took out theres a metal thing that is screwed in by another small silver screw

8. FD1830 macrumors newbie

Replacing a 2007 Black Macbook's Harddrive

Hi guys,
    i want to get a friend an upgrade for his black end of 2007 macbook. i was wondering what kind of hard drives would be compatible and how easy they are to install.
    http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=763 does anyone know if that one is compatible, and if not, which ones are?

Thanks, much appreciated
    :) :) :)

9. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Yah that will work. Any Sata 2.5" Hard drive will work.