How to remove the Imac screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by luffytubby, Aug 1, 2009.

1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Hello, I have an aluminium Imac(24'') that I bought little over a year ago, but it's not covered by warrenty anymore. The guys at my local apple store said I should contact them about my problem, so I am in a pinch and I guess I have to do it myself:F

The problem is that there seems to be Dirt or Dust on the inside of my iMac screen. I have been told that this is not that uncommon and that the glass protecting the screen can be removed with a suction cup.

I just wanted to hear if anyone has done this, and their experiences with it...

2. Gitano1 macrumors newbie

There are a number of sites on the web that show the take down of the iMacs. I have white one that is three years old. I have wanted to replace the hard drive with a larger unit (current one is 160GB). So far I have been a bit nervous about attempting it. I have worked on Laptops and done a lot of iPod repairs, but this one is definitely more complicated. Do a Google search and you will see the sites I mentioned. There are even ones with videos.

3. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

You need two big suction cups at opposite corners. The glass is held on with magnets so you just give it a good yank and the glass comes off. Good luck.

4. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    They'd have to be some bloody strong magnets..

From a repairs point of view, very smart IMO :)

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Search on YouTube, I've seen it with the big suction things