How to remove those icon badge?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Phat^Trance, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

does anyone know how to remove those annoying "icon badge" on the app store / cydia etc? i have a jailbroken iphone.

2. The General macrumors 601

3. Phat^Trance thread starter macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

cant, the new update doesnt work :/

4. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Easy statement. However there are instances where a person does not want to do the update because some new rule of the month removes a function that was approved by Apple. In those cases I just live with it.

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

yeah this seems like a non issue

a) if your phone is 100% normal you should be installing updates

b) If your phone is jailbroken/can't update because you did something.. well that's part of the price you pay

I installed a supercharger in my last car, and the next day I got a Check Engine Light that didn't go away. There was nothing wrong , but I knew that There was no way of getting rid of it (short of removing the supercharger)

6. foob macrumors 6502

foob

For Cydia, open the file /var/lib/dpkg/status and change the version of the app to one higher than the update. E.g., if the update is 1.5, change it to 1.6.

7. The General macrumors 601

these are updates for applications, not for iphone os.

8. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Careful if you decide to go this route.

I have tried doing this multiple times, and each time it removes the list of installed packages from Cydia. This is not to say the packages are uninstalled, it just removes the list. This, consequently, means that you also won't be able to use PkgBackup should you need to restore.

It's more of a nuisance than anything else, as all the installed packages still work, but just letting you know my experience with it.

9. Malcontent macrumors newbie

Sometimes updates remove functionality... like in Shazam and Facesync.

Also, you're an idiot.

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Or, the tiny light bulb?

11. cowsrus macrumors 6502

1) install appflow via cydia
    2) launch appflow and choose the app you want to get the badges off of
    3) when you pick the app it will give you options, click badge it
    4) choose 0 and then press ok
    5) exit the app and you are all set

only problem is once you re-enter say cydia after turning the badge to 0, itll look for new updates and then put the badge number back up, meaning you have to go into appflow after you use an app with badges. its a minor annoyance

12. ryno2292 macrumors member

For the App store I had two apps I knew I'd never update because they were completely changed by new updates. So all I did was go in to those app folders var/mobile/Applications/... via iPhone browser, or whatever you want to use, and just rename the iTunesMetadata.plist file. Respring, check the app store for updates and there you have it, no longer shows that the app needs updated, no more badge.