How to remove Windows only operating system.

TheColonist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
I purchased an iMac 20" computer. The previous owner (deceased) formated the hard drive and installed Windows 7 ONLY. I researched and found out I the computer can handle Snow Lepard, but it needs to be installed from OS X. If i purchase the Full Install of Tiger (the original OS), how do I go about installing it? Do I format the hard drive form Windows 7? Not sure what to do. Afraid to do anything for fear of destroying it completely.
Thanks.

TiBook550

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Atl, GA
- Back up any info you want to save from the hard drive.
- Boot from the Tiger install disc by holding down the C key at startup.
- At the install screen, select Disk Utility from Applications>Utilities.
- Select the hard drive in the left column and click the Erase tab.
- Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the volume format, rename the drive, check the box if you're installing OS 9 (doubtful) and then Erase.
- Quit Disk Utility and proceed to install OS X as normal.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
delete the windows partition
create a new partition osx extended journaled
then choose options and select GUID partition

you need to choose options and set up your partition as a GUID partition otherwise the partition will not be bootable from osx.

Last edited:

TheColonist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Which OS?

I don't have the Tiger disks, but I did get the Snow Leopard disk. Do I need to install Tiger first, or can I install SN instead?

ddmcnair

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Install whatever OSX disc you have. Once installed you can start upgrading the versions. Have fun; keep us posted.:apple::)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Install whatever OSX disc you have. Once installed you can start upgrading the versions. Have fun; keep us posted.:apple::)
The thread is three years old, I'm sure he's already moved on from the issue and there's nothing to keep us posted about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.