How to remove windows virus from mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RubenAlonzo, Jan 22, 2010.

1. RubenAlonzo macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone, My neighbors wife has a mac that has had a PC virus infect it, the Mac portion boots up fine but the windows side is messed up.

I am not really all that familiar with Mac's and so I thought I'd come to the experts, you all.

I am not certain on how to remove it, is it possible that if I install a Mac antivirus, it will detect and remove it?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, nothing on the Mac side will have any affect

It is on the Windows partition, or within Parallels or Fusion
    The fact that it is on a Mac makes no difference
    It should be treated like any other Windows virus within Windows

I am going to guess this is Windows 7 because you didn't say
    Install Microsoft Security Essentials and see if that helps

If you need more assistance, we need to know if this is a Boot Camp partition or a virtualization
    And we need to know what version of Windows

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. RubenAlonzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you MacDawg, I am going to go over today after work and see see the specifics of the issue. Cheers!

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Be sure to post back!
    We will be glad to walk you through whatever issues you find!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. MacRuls macrumors newbie

Please Help: Having Same problem, virus on Windows side

Hi all, I am having the same problem where my Windows XP side of my MAC (Bootcamp Partition) has suddenly been "infected" by a virus and this Antivirus Soft webpage appears supposedly supported by Windows to have me purchase and protect. I have been running EsetNod32 antivirus on this Windows partition and never had a problem before yesterday. Please offer help soonest as I want to rid of this virus quickly! Thanks so much! grrr Windows :mad: and yay :apple:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-soft
    http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-soft.html

7. MacRuls macrumors newbie

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

You should think about how you got this in the first place, someone clicked on an 'install me' type link (when they probably got a screen come up saying you had a virus), it may even have looked like a virus scan, but all it was, was some pictures & animation made to look like one.

Be more careful about what to install in future, its always worth a quick google, but absolutely for sure, 100%, if you ever browse to a website and it says you have got a virus, but you havent until you click on the link to install the "virus scanner" !

9. g3powerbook boy macrumors member

windows crap is the main reason i chose to get an apple. also the main reason i chose to get the 3 g3 powerbooks for $15.00 that were listed on craigslist as for parts or repair, i figured if i can get one to power up i will have 2 others to take parts from if needed. i used the screen and power switch cover from one to make this one decent. all it really needed was the hinges for the screen it came with to be replaced but thought it was easier to just swap screens and it needed the correct os installed, the idiot that had them tried to put windows vista on them and didnt have any os x disks. now my next project with it is to attempt to access the bottom of the cpu card and add a memory chip to it. apple has my support after 3 different viruses showed up on my windows machine in as many days even though i was running antivirus protection.

windows = :mad::confused:

apple = :)
    :apple:

10. MacRuls macrumors newbie

Umm.. thanks for the advice; the links GGJstudios gave explain what this scam program "Antivirus Soft" does to a person's computer to make it appear they have a virus when they actually do not. I did not buy into the scam, nor did I purchase or click to install anything. It may be good for you to read about this scam as it doesn't require clicking 'install me' like you say. Anyway.. MANY thanks to GGJstudios, I am all set now and back up to date on my protection so this will not happen again! :) yay :apple:

11. MacRuls macrumors newbie

Sweetness, q3powerbook boy! I am soo with you on the :apple: = :) Windows has been full of :eek: :confused: :mad: over the years! heehee :p

12. TeacherinMA macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem! However, I tried using the instructions and it didn't work. I can't get my comp to go into safety mode at all. Any suggestions?

13. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

You need to find a windows site and ask specific questions there, its irrelevant that you have a Mac as its the Windows environment that has been compromised and thats what you need help with.